help with 4 poker

tyler1blaster

Aug 16, 2009
virginia
as many of you guys know i have a 2000 yamaha grizzly 600. it smokes a lot at start up and progressivly smokes less as it gets warmer and warmer. (rings for sure) it also knocks a lot. which could be the timing belt or the piston. so heres the deal. i sold my recon for $1200 and originally planned to use the money from that and my grizzly to buy a newer smaller 4x4. but then i got a hold of some mechanics and got their advice. one came out and said that it is probably the crank,timing belt, cam, piston,rings, and valves. $2000 and up
this guy scared the piss out of me.

and another mechanic said that it just needs a valve adjustment and a top end rebuild. he quoted me $500 for parts and labor. (not bad)

i have no idea who to trust. i'm inclined to take it to the dude who gave me the more reassuring estimate. i'm not putting $2000 into it.

thx

Smoking when cold than going away as it gets warm would be bad valve seals/ guides.. With out hearing the knockin sound my self, its hard to say, could be rod knock, piston slap, wriste pin, cam chain, or the valves clankin away..

Smoking when cold than going away as it gets warm would be bad valve seals/ guides.. With out hearing the knockin sound my self, its hard to say, could be rod knock, piston slap, wriste pin, cam chain, or the valves clankin away..

thanks fed.

but all of that is related to the top end right? i dont want to have to do bottom end work. ohhhh no. the knock kind of sounds like piston slap.

Tell the $500 guy that if his quote of price and whats wrong turns out wrong that he pays for whatever else is wrong. At least you'll know how confident he is then

i did my sons 97 lakota last year, piston, rings, bore job, valve seals and timing chain, it ran me around that much, but did the labor myself, worst part was getting everything off to get to the motor, < makes ya really appreciate our blasters
my guess is it is just top end, i'd do a compression check, and compare to what the specs call for, if thats all good, pull the head, and timing CHAIN (not belt), and just take him the head to rework, reassemble it yourself and save some labor costs
cause $500 is alot for just new valve stem seals, relap valves and a timing chain ???,
timing chain = $60+, valve stem seals = under $20,
the rest all in labor ??????

i did my sons 97 lakota last year, piston, rings, bore job, valve seals and timing chain, it ran me around that much, but did the labor myself, worst part was getting everything off to get to the motor, < makes ya really appreciate our blasters
my guess is it is just top end, i'd do a compression check, and compare to what the specs call for, if thats all good, pull the head, and timing CHAIN (not belt), and just take him the head to rework, reassemble it yourself and save some labor costs
cause $500 is alot for just new valve stem seals, relap valves and a timing chain ???,
timing chain = $60+, valve stem seals = under $20,
the rest all in labor ??????

$500 is for the piston, rings, and the valve work. with labor

Wow maybe gettin my old 400ex fixed wasn't so bad was lookin at almost 900 parts and labor that was piston, valves, rings, cam chain, valve seats cut.. Hone..

Now that I think about it I should stuck the just under 900 in it instead of spending 900 on a banshee

time to do some investigation

4 pokes aren't that bad to work on, its all just nuts and bolts at the end of the day

they are expensive though lol

My Honda has been doing this for years and never stopped. It knocks loudly when you change gears and smokes a little when you start it. doesn't smell like oil.

I am also interested in how to fix it though.

Isn't that the air cooled solid axle griz? If so you might want to think about upgrading to an IRS machine... My king rides soo much better than my vinson. Also liquid cooling on a motor that big is peace of mind for me.

My Honda has been doing this for years and never stopped. It knocks loudly when you change gears and smokes a little when you start it. doesn't smell like oil.

I am also interested in how to fix it though.

well your honda will never die.

that sounds like rings.