Help! sucked water into motor!

Scspeed

Aug 23, 2009
I drove my blaster into a not deep but long puddle yesterday, I was going very fast becouse I was not aware of the puddle. As i went thru the puddle the quad bogged but never stalled. After I took off the seat to look if the filter got wet and it did, it had little water droplet spots on it. I started it back up and limped it home

When I got home I took off the carb and reeds and cleaned them both very good, changed the gas and oil and plug, kicked it over and it does the same thing. It runs but only at idle and will not go passed a certaint rpm

Should I take off the head? Maby there is water in the cilinders? Anfter it runs I look at the plug and it is wet, and does not smell like gas. Maby water?? What should I do next?

Any help would be greatly appericiated.

i did the same thing about a month ago..i just kept running the bike to burn out the water bc you dont want it to sit in the motor...after about half hour of riding with it bogging it cleared up.

i did the same thing about a month ago..i just kept running the bike to burn out the water bc you dont want it to sit in the motor...after about half hour of riding with it bogging it cleared up.
thats what i do.. i just pull the air box plug to drain it out of the box then ride it around shifting at low rpms and when i feel the life start to come back to it i beat it for a couple mins then take it home and change the oil and put in a new plug. this seems tohappen to me alot lol.

u can always take ur reeds off and spray a lil bit of ether into ur bottom end to absorb the water molecules if u got a lot of water just sitting in there u need to flip ur engine upside down and kick it over a bunch of times and let it sit for like 30 min upside down at bottom dead center spray ether also. u can also run a lil alchy in ur fuel to absorb the water molecules also.

this happened to me when my 82 cr480 wouldnt start. i cleaned the carb checked the reeds. kicked it over with the reeds off and i heard SLOSH SLOSH. my bottom end was filled with water. flipped her over drained the water. let it sit. ethered her up. reassembled. poured a lil bit of fuel in the top end(i did this repeatidly to run the water out cuz she wouldnt start and run any other way). and after all that she was fine.

ok great guys, ill do that, i took the top of the head off and put a hair dryer in the cylinder, this took care of most of it but when i kick it over little amounts of water reappear, im assuming there's some water in between the rings, ill just run it for a while and see what happens and if it doesn't clear up then i will hit it with some eather/starting fluid.

Also since i just took the top of the head off, not the head, just the top, do i have to replace the gasket? the gasket is like brand new the motor was only rebuilt about a month ago and the gasket looks great. lmk thanks.

when you teake off anything with a gasket,its always good to replace it. But thats ur choice,it may still be good if its not pinched or bent or anything. But try what i said in my previous post. Clean the filter...then run the bike and ride it for a while..gradually getting the rpms higher. workds every time for me. Now i avoid water till my new metal airbox comes in..lol.

lol u guys are changing ur clutch oil when the "clutch part of the motor" is completely sealed off from the crankcase area where u have the water in.so the only way water will get into your clutch side is a bad seal somewhere

ok guys, i sprayed eather in the cylinder then after kicking it over and airing it out with an air hose. I repeated this about 4 or 5 times, i reassembled the head, reusing the same gasket (did not look bad at all) and she fired up first kick.

I let it idle for about 5-10 min then opened her up. Runs like a top! thanks again all!

not usually a good idea to use ether. its bad on engines, esp 2 strokes. now all you had to d was either run the water out, or take off the pipes, drain them, and get the water out of the lower end. (maybe by cranking the engine iver with no pipes or spark plug, or turning the engien over) as someone mentioned. the crankscase is sealed off from the lower end of the engine. but its always good to check, you never know if you have a bad seal or a crack etc. (like somebody did)

always change the gasket. heating and cooling will make the gasket weaker. you may get lucky reusing it, but if there ever is a problem, thats why.

i recently had the same issue with my vitos banshee, and was reluctant to fix the issue. mine was left outside in the rain with no seat on. (no airbox lid, filled up) my dad left it outside, not me. i, like most people tend to procrastinate. now i have to tear the whole engine apart and check everything. i was lucky the cylinders honed out ok. the pistons were savable (low hrs newer top end. probly less that 50hrs) so so far i got away with a new top end except for pistons. i ran into some money issues so after i took the top apart, and drained the water out, i put some premix in there so the bearings and such could soak in oil, hopefully to save the lower end. i have yet to tear into the lower end to see what ive ended up with.

shows a perfect example of what can happen if you are a dummy like me and dont take care of a water issue right away. next time ill get right on that sh*t.

i guess its sort of a blessing, because ive never been inside this engine, i got it and changed top ends, so i have no idea what ill find. (good crank, bad crank, trued and welded crank, etc.) my 2001 was all stock, but when i took it all the way apart, i found it had a trued and welded crank....somebody took the time to do that, and put it back stock...never know.

not usually a good idea to use ether. its bad on engines, esp 2 strokes. now all you had to d was either run the water out, or take off the pipes, drain them, and get the water out of the lower end. (maybe by cranking the engine iver with no pipes or spark plug, or turning the engien over) as someone mentioned. the crankscase is sealed off from the lower end of the engine. but its always good to check, you never know if you have a bad seal or a crack etc. (like somebody did)

always change the gasket. heating and cooling will make the gasket weaker. you may get lucky reusing it, but if there ever is a problem, thats why.

i recently had the same issue with my vitos banshee, and was reluctant to fix the issue. mine was left outside in the rain with no seat on. (no airbox lid, filled up) my dad left it outside, not me. i, like most people tend to procrastinate. now i have to tear the whole engine apart and check everything. i was lucky the cylinders honed out ok. the pistons were savable (low hrs newer top end. probly less that 50hrs) so so far i got away with a new top end except for pistons. i ran into some money issues so after i took the top apart, and drained the water out, i put some premix in there so the bearings and such could soak in oil, hopefully to save the lower end. i have yet to tear into the lower end to see what ive ended up with.

shows a perfect example of what can happen if you are a dummy like me and dont take care of a water issue right away. next time ill get right on that sh*t.

i guess its sort of a blessing, because ive never been inside this engine, i got it and changed top ends, so i have no idea what ill find. (good crank, bad crank, trued and welded crank, etc.) my 2001 was all stock, but when i took it all the way apart, i found it had a trued and welded crank....somebody took the time to do that, and put it back stock...never know.

love your truck!

Ya know, that seemed like a lot of work to go through, it's a two stroke, you can beat it up a little. haha, I just run mine till it clears up, doesn't even take me a half hour, i just kinda putt around in 4th doing like ten miles an hour, lol. And it eventually clears up, and my compression is still tip top. She runs like a champ :)

not usually a good idea to use ether. its bad on engines, esp 2 strokes. now all you had to d was either run the water out, or take off the pipes, drain them, and get the water out of the lower end. (maybe by cranking the engine iver with no pipes or spark plug, or turning the engien over) as someone mentioned.

y exactly is ether bad for engines? it evaporates fast, leaves no residue. the only problem i c is lubrication. but u can fix that by adding premix b4 u start it. i would like to know y its bad.

y exactly is ether bad for engines? it evaporates fast, leaves no residue. the only problem i c is lubrication. but u can fix that by adding premix b4 u start it. i would like to know y its bad.

either drys out motors really bad it takes away that film of oil that lines the inside of the bearing and engine..
that and there is alot more energy in either its a good way to bend a rod..

it makes it easier to start, yes. but its hard on the engine. almost like detonation in a way. not only does it displace water but it will also dry out the inside. if you do it, dont do it a lot. i wuldnt use it to displace water...thats for sure. if it wont start on its own, fix the problem, doing that is just making whatever issue you have worse. esp if you have a weak topend. all its going to do is start the bike, uyes, but also scar the cylinder walls too. low compression is another bad thing too.