Help 450r Rear shock

rich1

Jan 6, 2014
N.C./RTP
I got the 450 r shock today but the was no hardware to mount it . I going to call KOR and order the the top bushing kit . The problem is the lower mount holes are not the same size , the 450 r has larger holes. Do I just drill the swingarm holes out larger and use a larger bolt ? Also the is no rubber mounting pieces for the bottom either. The E bay listing said it was mounted on a Blaster that was parted out.
450r shock 002.JPG
Please post some pic on how the top and bottom mounts look !

hmm..i had to drill the bottom of my 450r shock with a 12mm bit to even accept the original bolt...someone must have just drilled it too big...if it isnt much play with the original bolt it should be fine

hmm..i had to drill the bottom of my 450r shock with a 12mm bit to even accept the original bolt...someone must have just drilled it too big...if it isnt much play with the original bolt it should be fine
A 400 es shock ? so the guy lied about that . Great You mean the bolt goes threw the bottom bracket without any rubber mounting . Show me a pic !

get the kor bushings & bolt for the top.
yes, you'll need to drill the bottom tabs for the larger pin/bolt needed
(if that shock was already on a blaster ?, it may already be drilled to fit the original bottom pin ? )
kens video (below) says a 12mm pin/bolt is needed for that bottom mount.
add washers as needed to eliminate side to side movement, no rubber bushings needed

nice clean looking shock !
but i can't tell from the pic above, if that is indeed a 450r or 400ex shock ?
is the rezzie offset to one side or centered ?
if offset (450r) you'll also need to cut the tab off the frame/rear plastics on the kicker side

Last edited:
Someone must of drilled it out to big.. your probably gonna have to cut a tab off your frame on the right side..the 450r rezzie isn't centered and hits lil.. I didnt like the 450r shock lowered the back a lil too much..I have 400 on my spare bike.. both way better then stock

Last edited:
get the kor bushings & bolt for the top.
yes, you'll need to drill the bottom tabs for the larger pin/bolt needed ?
or even go one size larger if needed
kens video (below) says a 12mm bolt is needed for that bottom mount, the original top bolt is a 12mm and may work ? (been a while since i fooled with any of the honda shocks)
add washers as needed to eliminate side to side movement, no rubber bushings needed

nice clean looking shock !
but i can't tell from the pic above, if that is indeed a 450r or 400ex shock ?
is the rezzie offset to one side or centered ?
if offset (450r) you'll also need to cut the tab off the frame/rear plastics on the kicker side

Well I guess the good thing is the shock is not off set, so its a 400ex then:rolleyes:. It goes right in the top mount I just bolted it up loose to see if it worked. It is the same length as the Blaster ,even the spring is so I can switch if needed. The dampening up and down is adjustable and works better than the stock one. I ll order the top bushings from KOR Monday.
Its kinda bad that the motor and the shock was my 1st and 2nd purchase on E-Bay and both posters lied about their product ..Buyer Beware !!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Well I guess the good thing is the shock is not off set, so its a 400ex then:rolleyes:. It goes right in the top mount I just bolted it up loose to see if it worked. It is the same length as the Blaster ,even the spring is so I can switch if needed. The dampening up and down is adjustable and works better than the stock one. I ll order the top bushings from KOR Monday.
Its kinda bad that the motor and the shock was my 1st and 2nd purchase on E-Bay and both posters lied about their product ..Buyer Beware !!!!!!!!!!:eek:

ahhh the crap shoot that is used ebay parts :)
and my experience with both shocks were...i couldn't tell the difference,
but the 400ex doesn't require permanently hacking your frame.
you'll be fine

ahhh the crap shoot that is used ebay parts :)
and my experience with both shocks were...i couldn't tell the difference,
but the 400ex doesn't require permanently hacking your frame.
you'll be fine

The 400 ex may be better after all ! Thanks for the help everyone !