Hello

blasDa

Oct 21, 2015
I've just been awarded a "trophy" for being here for a week, so I guess I should say Hi to y'all.

Hi y'all!

I'm Don from Ontario, Can. Just bought an old blaster ('90), used and abused and put away for years. Thought it would be an interesting winter project. Gonna do a full rebuild. There are pro's and cons....
Cons: I know very little to nothing about engines, or quads for that matter. I've been lurking here for a bit and have been learning a lot.
Pro's: I'm a tool maker by trade (plastic injection mould maker actually, then moved on to making automotive checking fixtures, now die- setter / millwright). So, I know machining, welding and fabrication pretty well, am quite mechanically inclined and a quick learner. Oh, and I have access to a full machine shop, welding shop, and powder coating line at work, so this should be fun and interesting.

Welcome, this is a great place , as Dirty said everything you need to know about a blaster, is available here. Back in March I picked up my first two stroke bike, a running but needy blaster, it is an '02 with a 98 motor in it, had a pipe, the airbox cover removed, air leaks, and a stock 230 main jet, I think the only thing keeping it from melting down was the fact that it was so lean on the main jet it barely ran at all might have had 10hp.
I got it home, and found missing, stripped and wrong bolts everywhere. The carb cap gasket was chewed up, the left side cover gasket was pinched, clutches were worn and improperly installed, bore was worn excessively, axle bearings needed replaced, and the list goes on.
Since then I became a member here on BF, learned more than I ever imagined, have upgraded or repaired everything that was messed up, (except for slightly bent lower a arm), ported my own cylinder, and am just now hitting the $1000 dollar mark.

The help and advice I have received here has been invaluable, I have yet to have anyone act immaturely, or start a flame war.
That's not to say that everyone always agrees, in fact opinions often vary widely, and supporting facts can sometimes be few and far between.

IF you don't already know, you will soon find that the blaster is easy to work on, fairly inexpensive to mod,and can be repurposed for nearly any sporting use. Just look at the full rebuild and engine swap sections, and you will see what I mean.

Welcome and Enjoy
DeeBeee

I really love this forum. Thanks for the previous advice, compression was 0. Mr. Blaaster, can you point me in the direction of a good top end rebuild kit for a 2003 blaster. I see all the discussion about the cheap-o kits but I can't seem to find what I need. Wiseco said to me 'you always have to bore it out' and that they don't sell the cylinder (or jug? is that the same as the cylinder?). Forgive me for not knowing what I'm talking about but I don't have anyone that can bore out a cylinder so I want to replace it all. Yamaha won't sell to customers directly and I don't have a dealer in my area. ebay kits look like they are made of recycled soda cans.