Hard Steering

dirtysquared

DirtyDirty
Jun 30, 2013
South Western PA
I went for a ride today, My blaster really doesn't like to turn now. I mean I'm really having a hard time making the bars move.

I do grease the steering stem regularly, and I do spray silicone on all the helm joints on my a-arms, and hit my tierod ends with it too. Anyone have any Idea's or experience where I should go with this?

those were brand new ASR's ?

could be any number of the joints/pivots down there.
i'd pop the tie rod ends off the steering stem flag to isolate right/left side or stem itself.

Messed around with my asr set up n new lsr stem today finaly dialing everything in n noticed the old stem bushings jammed it up when turning it so swapped my new UPP stem bushings in n noticed a difference, also a bent tie rod ever so slight to the naked eye would defffff cause that or a stiff heim, put the front on jacks n have someone turn left to right n listen for squeeks or pops, may need to use stethascope on actial joints to pin point actual cause

those were brand new ASR's ?

could be any number of the joints/pivots down there.
i'd pop the tie rod ends off the steering stem flag to isolate right/left side or stem itself.

Yes they were. I'll give that a try this week. I don't know what the hell happened in sitting one week. I actually sprayed everything before I left today too, and noticed it was a bit hard when I was leaving the yard.

I noticed mine is harder than giz's stock setup

I figured this because of the different geometry is putting different strains with the extensions

I tore into it tonight. The helm joints are tighter than 10 toes in a sock. I tired spinning some grease in them and working it in. It made it a bit looser, but still not good. I emailed ASR....Just to see what they recommend me to do.

If I need to buy new joints, I'm going to be pissed!!!

def keep us posted so us ASR users know what to and what not to do. I am still dialing my set up in, have a few more adjustments before I tighten everything down, cant wait to see what they feel like.

def keep us posted so us ASR users know what to and what not to do. I am still dialing my set up in, have a few more adjustments before I tighten everything down, cant wait to see what they feel like.

They are definitely nice. They really improve the handling. I'll get it figured out and straightened up, just might take a bit of time. Once they get back to me, I'll let everyone know what the findings were.

If my Blaster is down for a little bit, I still have other things to ride, but none of them are as nasty in our trails as my Blue Bomber.

Here is the reply from ASR. I'm going to give it a try.

You can wash them with wd-40 and move the suspension up and down to clear the dirt out of them. Another lube that works is imperial sizing die wax, should be able to get it at any shooting sports store. Use only a tiny amount as it goes a long way , any excess grease will attract dirt. Hope that helps you out. Drew @ASR

Here is the reply from ASR. I'm going to give it a try.

You can wash them with wd-40 and move the suspension up and down to clear the dirt out of them. Another lube that works is imperial sizing die wax, should be able to get it at any shooting sports store. Use only a tiny amount as it goes a long way , any excess grease will attract dirt. Hope that helps you out. Drew @ASR

ahhh, i'm calling hogwash on his dirt in the heim theory.
i've had my asr's for 3/4 seasons now, they were used when i bought them, and have yet to have this happen to them.
i pay no special attention to them, ride thru everything and anything, and just wash along with everything else....when i even wash it.
then spray with silicon lubricant before every ride.

ahhh, i'm calling hogwash on his dirt in the heim theory.
i've had my asr's for 3/4 seasons now, they were used when i bought them, and have yet to have this happen to them.
i pay no special attention to them, ride thru everything and anything, and just wash along with everything else....IF i even wash it.
then spray with silicon lubricant before every ride.

Im fine with mine, they are tighter but not insane. I put a little chain lube in mine last week because i needed it that day.

Harley i wanted to use lithium on mine and have been wondering if itd be ok myself. But all the read ups are very specific about using silicone. The owner of ASR is very nice, i couldnt get threw for a day than HE contacted me back and walked me threw a few issues. Thats a big reason i like these plus the thickness, shape, huge strong joints, n majorly the upoer a arm hardware design. Iv had MANY extended a arms from MANY companies and they all seamed bland in ways. These heims are amaizing joints tho they get alot of trash talk the big issue with them is they are exposed to the elaments, if someone can incent a special boot to cover them n pack them with a thin grease theyd be perfect (not look as cool but fuction safely n dirt free) think about it, its exposed.... At full deperrssion its pivoted out a few hairs, a few grains of sand cover the joint, released the joint moves back in a few hairs taking the grains with it. In the hobby of R/C we throw a balloon over our recievers to prevent sand grains and water from damaging the comonents. Theres lots of room on the heims to do the same.

they make hiem joint protective boots, i had them saved in my ebay, but figured like shock covers, they'd just hold dirt and moisture in, i'll try to find a link after work

Realy? Imma have to look, if ziptied right it would deter all dirt just like our axle n ball joint boits on our cars, i rarly find dirt in mine when i tear them down. I also heard the shock covers holding dirt but on normal trail riding (not submerging in deep mud or puddles) my shocks stay super clean where as before the covers id be super scrubbin n presure washin. Im glad this all came up bc i wouldnt have thought to look for heim boots

Check this email out from ASR today. They had a problem, and are going to make it right. If you got some in the last few months, Keep an eye on them, and contact ASR if you run into problems. Good customer service, and honesty, I'll buy their stuff again.

If your heims are still stiff , I have a new shipment coming in tomorrow. I will replace them, it seems that we got a bad batch of them. Let me know and I'll take care of you. Drew @ASR

Thank You ! For your recent purchase from American Star Manufacturing LLC.

You can check out more ATV and SxS parts on our Website at

www.amstarmanufacturing.com

If you have any concerns with your purchase please call us so wecan fix the problem before leaving negative feedback for the transaction.

We do make mistakes after all we are human, please allow us to fix the situation.

You can email us 24/7 at americanstarauto@aol.com Please allow 24-48 hrs for response

You can reach us from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm MST M-F at

# 435-577-2266

Sorry we are closed Saturday and Sundays