Gusman form Utah

Gusman

Nov 3, 2010
41.1329N 111.9285W
I just wanted to introduce myself. I am Gusman and I am from northern Utah and I just purchased my first Blaster tonight. It is a stock 2004 Blaster and I bought it for my 12 year old daughter for Christmas. I figure the next 50 days will give me enough time to clean it up and go through it and have it top notch condition.

I am looking for pointers on what I should be looking for. From the little I have read, it appears that disabling the auto lubrication system and premixing the fuel seems to be a common practice. Any other areas I need to check into?

Looking forward to doing some mods to it after I get my daughter proficient at riding.

I also own a 2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700 and a 1985 Honda Big Red 250 ES. My favorite place to go riding is Moab.

It has been awhile since I have worked on 2-stroke machines but I am looking forward to playing with this one.

Looking forward to interacting on the forum.I:I

Gusman

you could look into doing the TORS (throttle over ride system) delete. these things tend to be a little hinky and only stop the engine from reving up after a roll over. i would also look into widing that thing out. these are tippy little things and just a few inches in both the front and rear add alot of stability. you can flip the front tires (so the valve stems are on the inside) this will give you about 2-3 inches in the front. the back if she isnt going to be racing or jumping it you could get away with wheel spacers instead of a new axle. and this will give you a good base for when you do start modding it

Welcome, check out the DIY section, everything Santa is going to need to know is right at your fingertips! Use the search button to narrow it down, it works great! Don't be afraid to ask questions either! I:I

you could look into doing the TORS (throttle over ride system) delete. these things tend to be a little hinky and only stop the engine from reving up after a roll over. i would also look into widing that thing out. these are tippy little things and just a few inches in both the front and rear add alot of stability. you can flip the front tires (so the valve stems are on the inside) this will give you about 2-3 inches in the front. the back if she isnt going to be racing or jumping it you could get away with wheel spacers instead of a new axle. and this will give you a good base for when you do start modding it

Welcome! I have a feeling you will learn a lot from this forum. Really good advice ^^, by the way! I'd just like to add that replacing at least the rear tires will also help a stock Blaster perform better, because the factory 'balloon' tires are just that... balloons. Bouncy and too tall (in my opinion). Aftermarket 18" or 20" rear tires such as Maxxis RAZR, ITP Holeshot, Shredder, etc will lower the quad slightly and put more tread in contact with the ground, thereby helping with traction and cornering.

Oh, and just by the way, you need special tire valve stems put in the front wheels before flipping them on '03-'06 Blasters. It can be done after that, but the stock tire valve stems will hit the brake calipers if you just 'go for it'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Triple_B
Welcome Aboard Man.... Just be careful you bought it for your daughter but thats just 50 days to catch the bug and by christmas you gonna have to buy her something else or you will buy another one for you....I:I I:I I:I I:I

get a f7 pipe. and some new handgrips. and some nerf bars. you dont want her foot to slip off and then get cut off. also show us some pics of the blaster

Oh, and just by the way, you need special tire valve stems put in the front wheels before flipping them on '03-'06 Blasters. It can be done after that, but the stock tire valve stems will hit the brake calipers if you just 'go for it'.

guess i should of payed better attention i didnt think he listed a year. but yeah u just need shorty valve stems

Well spent about 2 hours on here tonight getting ideas. Got a little bit of work ahead of me but I am looking forward to it. First thing is to clean and adjust the carb and get new fuel. Float stuck after about 30 minutes of riding.

Then a complete fluid change and cleaning. Going to get it running right first in a stock condition and then let the mods begin.

I can see myself buying one for me to cruise around on also. I had fun on it yesterday but I would probably need a Banshee to haul my fat butt around.

Thanks for the welcomes and the advise.

Gusman

dont underestimate the blaster yet. Size doesnt affect hw fun the blasty can be. Ive seen riders with them in a range from 100 pounds all the way to 250 pounds. Once you upgrade it a little and give it a better ride quality, you will never get rid of it.

holeshots and razrs are good tires. If its woods id stick around a 20" tire. 18s would be good for mostly track riding but once you take it to the woods you lose clearance