Guitars????

stay away from those.

seriously... learn on an acoustic. i have been playing for 17 years.
learn your basics on an acoustic first... i promise you will thank me if you stick with it.

those cheap electrics sound bad, don't stay tuned and you do not learn proper clearance and mechanics and finger movement from an electric.

i learned on a piece of crap acoustic then bought an electric. i now own 3 acoustics and three electrics.

trust me.

yeah, iv played and iv actually played a guitar before but i was drunk and my buddy taught me how to play smoke on the water and i completly forgot it the next day! But what about an acoustic electric? whats the diff?

an acoustic electric is an acoustic with sound pick-ups (microphones) built into the guitar so that you can plug into an amp and amplify the volume.

if you are wanting that metal rock sound... only an electric will do it.

but, if you are serious about playing guitar, an acoustic is the obvious first choice.

Jasmine by Takamine S34C NEX Cutaway Acoustic Guitar and more 6 String Acoustic Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

this is a great starter acoustic guitar.. lotsa features for real cheap

Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Standard Electric Guitar with Gold Hardware and more Solid Body Electric Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

and this one is a great starter electric.. if you insist.

decent electrics aren't cheap.

look at it like this. buying one of those cheap kits like you linked to in the top is like buying a chinese 150cc atv. yes, it's an atv... but... not much of one.

my brother just started to play,he started on a elect. guitar and got these videos from my dads friend that really break everything down.the video is old tho. like from the 80's i think but i'll try to get the name of it...

i agree, myfirst guitar was electric and was not the right thing for me to learn on, i sold it and several years later bought an acoustic and have been playing since then an acoustic is the way to make you fingers stronger so you dont get those buzz sounds, after playing electric for a longtime your fingers get weak cause the strings are easier to press, i personally like the sound of an acoustic better aswell, you should go to a guitarcenter and pickup a used fendr acoustic for around $100 and then you have a great guitar then will last a lifetime

thanks for all the imput guys, i appreciate it!!! it'll be more like april before i get one though cause its supose to be my b-day present from the old lady! i just have to decide which one i want!!lol

I have 1 yamaha n 1 maton (acoustic) the maton has an awesome sound n is awesome to play. Maton might be a bit pricey for ur spending range tho.... yamaha's r fine. just like their bikes!

Howdy

I've been playing for a couple dozen years and like the idea of learning on an acoustic. I'd sday get a nice Martin, but it looks like you are under that tax bracket. Learn a D and G chord and then go to the shops and find one that feels good and sounds good that you can afford. If you gotta have an electric those Fender Squire Strat Packs are impossible to beat for the money. I had one for about 15 years and just couldn't part with it. Was worth more to have around for a diff. sound than sell it. Gave to a friends kid last year, she was rocking and needed a better axe.

Anyway, luck!!!

A

Cheap electric guitars suck, the pickups are horrible, half the time the neck is screwed up and won't ever tune properly-there are many more decently priced electric acoustics that sound good, tune well and last. And you get the acoustic which is way easier to learn on and if you ever feel the need to bring down the house, just plug it into a decent amp and rock your heart out. like that one post said, learn D and G and you should have no problem finding an acoustic that sounds good.
just my 2 cents