Guitar.

Herpderplol

BRRAAAAAAAAAPP
Aug 22, 2012
Dickinson, ND
Im toying with the idea of learning to play guitar.

what im wondering is if some of you have helpful opinions on a type of guitar to start with.

there is an older guy i know that used to have a few guitars (gave one to his kid that sold it promptly. sold his best gibson worth $1500+ for $600 after his wife left him for drinking money) i think he might have one i can borrow until im sure i want to pursue this

but if not, what should i start with? i will probably play mostly acoustic once i learn how to, but i was reading a few things online that says getting an electric guitar is better for learning because they are more forgiving in making cords and strumming

for acoustic im looking at the fender cd-60 which is one of their cheaper ones but still very well made and comes with a hard case
for electric i would probably look at a cheaper fender also with a smallish amp

any insight is appreciated. anything that might help me get rolling would be awesome. tips tricks etc.

A good starter electric is an epiphone or Ibanez, for your amp get peavey vypyr vip series. These amps arent expensive and model all the greatest amps for all genres.

For acoustic I heard good things about takamine.
Learn tuning, learn scales, google tabs for your favorite songs. Tabs are simple to read.

I tip I was given many years ago, is that a good guitarist is one that can use the right hand to create different rhythms and moods, any one can play chords.

where's tfaith in this thread, think I saw him say he runs an online guitar lesson website or sumthiun like that ?

Pawn shops near me are slim pickings, a borrowed or new cheaper model will be the way to go

im in Dickinson ND now, so its all oil and nothing else.

Moving and working have occupied my time. 278 hours at work in 4 weeks ;)

On to guitar.

If you plan to just dabble in it, a lower end electric is the way to go. Rather, unless you're hell bent on getting an acoustic, get an electric. The strings are generally gauged in .009" or .010" whereas an acoustic will be gauged in .013". That doesn't seem like much, but the tension makes for much more painful playing early on. That will make you more reluctant to pick it up as often and you will become discouraged.

Guitar playing is (for many) about reaching milestones. Early on, those milestones are largely about technique and playing a few songs. When you start with an acoustic, which have much heavier string gauges and action (distance from strings to fretboard), those milestones are much, much more difficult to reach. Again, this is discouraging and will often lead to apathy or quitting altogether.

A good electric would be a used Ibanez or Schecter. Those will work with many different genres due to the diverse tones that can be had with them. For more classic rock and blues types, a Fender or Epiphone would be the better option. For metal, anything with EMG pickups would be fine. My preference is an Ibanez 7620 7-string. I play prog, so no one tone will work for me; I have to have many. That particular guitar is, for all intensive purposes, a Prestige, which is the ultimate in tone, quality, finish, reliability, playability, etc.

I'd recommend a lower end Ibanez either way. That isn't because I'm biased, only that I've had over 30 guitars and they are some of the most versatile and financially accessible. Always buy used. A pretty guitar is only that: a pretty guitar. I'd rather have a beat up high end guitar than a lower end guitar that doesn't sound as good. Go to any forum and you'll see a general consensus that agrees with me.

You'll also need an amp. As mentioned above, a Vypyr is a great option. Those rival the Line 6 brand which I prefer. Those are the most versatile amps available for under $1500. The last time I checked, you could get a Vypyr or lower end Line 6 for $100 new. Add to that a used Ibanez or Fender, cable, picks, and a strap, and you can be sitting pretty well off for under $300.

I have over $4000 in my current setup, but I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 5x that on various gear getting to where I am with how happy I am with my tone. Buy cheap to start with and you won't waste money on something that you aren't sure that you'll want 6 months down the road. There's nothing worse than dropping 4-digits on a piece of equipment only to get it home and plugged in and never find that happiness that you hoped for.

The other thing about an acoustic is that it is limited. You have to put forth so much more effort to play the same thing than someone on an electric. People will argue that there is no difference or that I need to man up and fight through the time required to get better, but I'd bet everything I own that I can play more than those people can on my electric. It isn't that I'm saying that I'm better, just that an acoustic requires more to get the same thing. Hell, I have so many guitars right now and no place for them that I'll send you one of my good ones for free if you can convince me that you're getting into music to the extent that I am.

If you're on the edge of diving off into music, do it and don't look back. I've been into motorsports and music for well over half of my life, and I can assure you that there is much more of a personal journey to be had with music than ATVs. Don't get me wrong, I love ATVs just as much as anyone else on here, but I'm being realistic. You have the topics of guitars and accessories, amps, effects, etc., and the musical side where you have theory, composition, analysis, etc., the technique side of picking, sweep picking, tapping, chords, arpeggios, etc., and the endless hours of sitting and really getting into the music composed by others like you never would have before. You can occupy your time for months on a single topic and never cover it all, which is the fun part. You'll never learn it all. No one will. That's the fun of it. You'll spend your time doing whatever it is that you want to learn and you'll talk with others about the things that they've learned, and you'll find that the possibilities of what you can become as a musician are infinite. You make your own path and you have fun all the while. After all, you play music, you don't work music.

I'll sum it up like this: The things that most positively affected my life are meeting my wife and becoming a musician.

Reactions: Herpderplol
Oh, and I'm not sure if this violates forum rules, but I teach for free. Awk, please remove this if it does. Otherwise, PM me for lessons. That goes for anyone that reads this at any point in time.

As always, your info is wonderful to read :D

And the reason i am thinking of turning to music, or a guitar mostly, is because i now live in town. with no blaster :(
Like my dad said when i sold it. i bought it, worked on it, played on it, beat the hell out of it, and still sold it for a profit in the end. which i was okay with
I think playing an instrument is a great way to pass time (whether learning or playing) and to get something that other people dont have. we all on here have had the joy in owning working and riding blasters, and then also expanding our knowledge to others. something not everyone does

I had been really considering the fender cd60 acoustic. for $240 on amazon you can get the guitar with the hard case, stand, strings, picks, strap and some other stuff too i believe. where as the store by me only sells the uitar with case for $230, same as fender website

A guy i work with has 3-4 guitars he said and i could possibly borrow one(im assuming this atm) because he wants me to work on his dodge durango that basically needs a whole new front end plus drivers door. he was aware i worked on my quad myself and asked if i could do it for him.
He also had 2 amps, but borrowed his extra to someone else in hopes of that person practicing more so they could play together
He said i should try an acoustic because of starting cost not needing amp cords etc.

The guy i had originally thought of having teach me probably will not be able to. i think he has been in ER 2-4 times this month unfortunately, and will probably be moving into assisted living if we can convince him. I know he asked my dad what he should do after the first or second time, but ik now that he needs to be taken care of more than what he can do for himself. He has been falling and this morning he messed up some of his meds and we picked him up after he spent all day at the hospital.

Pawn shops are next to none here. i think there might be two in dickinson. one i went to, place is messy as can be but iirc there may have been guitars.
Bismarck would be the next best place, and i will check bisman (north dakotas craigslist) for the brands you have suggested. We will be going through there next friday and sunday moving my brother back to MN and then back home. Plus its only 100 miles, and when our TDI gets 45+mpg miles dont matter

I will be honest, i really would love to learn how to play, and to play well. But im not sure i want to drop $500 without trying it yet. once i know, 500 wouldnt bother me

Last edited:
I applaud you wanting to learn an instrument, many long hours of enjoyment can be had on your own and with others.

Buying an expensive instrument to learn on is unwise, you may find that it is not your thing after a few months, and hide it in a closet.

Try to find a good used one, take someone who knows guitars with you when you buy it, and heed their advice.

Take advantage of the guy that will lend you one, try to play them all, there are guitars, and there are guitars.

I you find you like one more than another it will be a good starting point when looking at getting your own.

The guy i had originally thought of having teach me probably will not be able to. i think he has been in ER 2-4 times this month unfortunately, and will probably be moving into assisted living if we can convince him. I know he asked my dad what he should do after the first or second time, but ik now that he needs to be taken care of more than what he can do for himself. He has been falling and this morning he messed up some of his meds and we picked him up after he spent all day at the hospital.

He ended up in the hospital again today... Now he is being kept until they get his medications under control
He fell and hit his head, he is on blood thinners and his glasses ripped open his eyebrow. Fortunately unfortunately i was the only person to be able to get to him. My dad called me and told me he needed help, good thing my dad answered his phone because the others called didnt.

I can always ask the guy i work with, but he only has the one amp that he set up in the company's shop (go figure)