got a 2001 yz 250 for my blaster

looking good man, having the ability to use a pipe that's actually made for the motor and not all hacked up will be awesome

looking good man, having the ability to use a pipe that's actually made for the motor and not all hacked up will be awesome

exactly ken was the one that talked me into leaving it that way....im gonna do some gussets kinda like callmej's but a little different.

Damn, those upper pipes look eerily like the diagram I drew for 79XS on his 550 build. LOL

I actually had a buddy of mine drop off a YZ250 engine today. He got it in trade for a song and didn't have a thing to do with it. I traded him for a little work on his quad. I don't know yet if I want to butcher my frame to fit it but I've got it now anyway.

The build looks really good though. I like the YZF radiator and the YZ250 complete pipe. It will nearly look factory clean.

Damn, those upper pipes look eerily like the diagram I drew for 79XS on his 550 build. LOL

I actually had a buddy of mine drop off a YZ250 engine today. He got it in trade for a song and didn't have a thing to do with it. I traded him for a little work on his quad. I don't know yet if I want to butcher my frame to fit it but I've got it now anyway.

The build looks really good though. I like the YZF radiator and the YZ250 complete pipe. It will nearly look factory clean.

your right man i seen what you posted and liked the idea i was gonna do something a little different but after i test fitted the rad the rails ran that way actually worked out better so i ran with it oh by the way thanks :D

Well they look absolutely excellent. If I plop my YZ into my frame I'm going to chop the frame just like that. Does the YZF radiator fit in that hole pretty good? The pics look like it does but it doesn't show the cap/plastic interference or line routing.

Throw some green...

Reactions: 3 Wh33l3r Rid3r
yeah man the rad actually fits pretty good. it will fit even better with some of the metal plating on the top bent down or trimmed off it would fit waaay better. im actually debating whether im gonna buy an oversized radiator for my yfz and just go ahead and make the mods to this radiator to the fit the way i want, but i dont know what im gonna do yet so i havent made any mods to the rad but i have a feeling i will be very soon because i wanna get all the mounts done. i can put the radiator on and get you some close ups if u want.the line routing i see only one problem with the lower hose its gonna need a sharp bend to get around the pipe but i dont think it will be a problem and i run the taurus v1 front and the radiator is kinda close but i gotta idea to fix that

Last edited:
u can see in the pics how close everything is but if u look at the bottom of the radiator there is an inch and a half of metal there that can be trimmed down and it will lower the radiator enough where everything will clear the fenders im not sure on the factory fenders of how they would fit i dont have any to take a pic for ya but heres a couple so u can see what u would be getting into. i think after cutting the bottom of the rad the cap will have atleast an inch and a quarter or more from hitting the fender would probably have to take the front off to fill it up.

jzzf44.jpg

2edusfq.jpg

w1742s.jpg

FWIW:
If yur havin trouble clearing the pipe with the hose to the water pump there are some different pump covers you might be able to use. I know of at least 3, prolly more.. Straight up, forward then right angle in/up and straight forward (not pictured).

yzwaterpump005.jpg

good idea otis if i could find one that had a slight bend to the left it would be even better. the biggest bend is gonna be on the radiator side i need a hard bend out of it

Just a question your going to use the harness and all that stuff from the yz250, correct?
how will u wire up the light?

i think u can use a wr250 stator and it has wiring for a light. not to sure if im gonna run a light at first unless i can find a stator for cheap

i think u can use a wr250 stator and it has wiring for a light. not to sure if im gonna run a light at first unless i can find a stator for cheap

Yeah same here, so its pretty much just all the yz250 wiring on the blaster frame? and what about the ignition key? im pretty stoked that my frame came with the original ignition and key lol.

Don't chop up your blaster system. If you want to add the wr charging coil you just connect the yellow to the blaster system and the kill switch wire to the key switch. Older YZ stator plates used to have the mounting bosses for the charging coil. If I get around to rewinding mine for a bit more power I'll see if I can copy it. Be nice to have a screw on charging coil for those old dogs :)

I figure that the color codes might be different but the ignition system works identically to the blaster system. All you would need to do is compare a blaster stator plate to the YZ stator plate and figure out which wires need to go where to plug into the blaster harness. There should be four wires, two for the charging coil, one for the trigger coil and a ground. The blaster harness should have five, the aforementioned four plus the lighting coil wire.

Someone who has a little more experience with the ignition system chime in if that's not right but that's how I understand how the system works.

Don't chop up your blaster system. If you want to add the wr charging coil you just connect the yellow to the blaster system and the kill switch wire to the key switch. Older YZ stator plates used to have the mounting bosses for the charging coil. If I get around to rewinding mine for a bit more power I'll see if I can copy it. Be nice to have a screw on charging coil for those old dogs :)

I figure that the color codes might be different but the ignition system works identically to the blaster system. All you would need to do is compare a blaster stator plate to the YZ stator plate and figure out which wires need to go where to plug into the blaster harness. There should be four wires, two for the charging coil, one for the trigger coil and a ground. The blaster harness should have five, the aforementioned four plus the lighting coil wire.

Someone who has a little more experience with the ignition system chime in if that's not right but that's how I understand how the system works.

Thanx for the insight that cleared things up alot sorry to thread jack btw to the OP. If on of you guys can PM me a diagram of the wiring on a blaster that'd be awesome!

tinkered a little bit today i chopped off the old roller mounts and fit some yfz double bearing rollers, i ordered the alba racing chain roller and ill have to say it works better than the standard one it rolls alot easier and it has a anodized black cover that looks pretty cool need to order another one for the top, im gonna hold off on mounting em for good until i get my long travel swingarm built. i also got the front pivots ordered from jjandaracing but anyways heres a pic of the rollers

2r5g2le.jpg

15z44rr.jpg