got a 2001 yz 250 for my blaster

Feb 18, 2010
Texas
well one of my buddies just happens to have a 2001 yz 250 liquid cooled that i can get for nothing needs a rebuild and a 1st gear....so has anybody used that year model or something close so i know what im getting in for...any tips to help me out....any thoughts on what kinda motor work would work....has everything there all electrical, carb, stock head pipe and fmf silencer. maybe the best gearing setup. between me and 2 friends im pretty sure we can come up with something. i know a few frame mounts thats no big deal seems from other posts that the exhaust will be the biggest issue...so any tips would be appreciated... i will get a pic of the motor and all soon as i get it out of the frame

Reactions: blasterdemon7
perhaps in looking into upgrades for a non-running motor, you get it running first. I had all kinds of plans for my 400, but I started off with just getting it running good. you can probable find first gear on ebay and also a top-end on there. As far as the pipe I had to custom make the whole front part, and if you arent good at frabricating I would advise against that as mine turned out like pooh.

the fabricating i can handle that part i can weld pretty good my dad was a welding instructor.....but the motor id rather get the work done before it goes in the bike i dont wanna build then have to take it out later to get work done....do u think it might roll out good enough as stock to not even worry about any motor mods.....i dont plan on racing, mainly a little road riding till we hit the trails, wheelies mainly something to goof off on, i really dont care much for the top end i just want it to rip through the gears.... i got plenty of time to build and my blaster is running now so i wont have much down time.

my 400 rolls out of the frame with ease. I can take it out of the bike in about 10 mins. I dont know much about them 250's though. You are at least fixing the gears and topend first though right?

A stock YZ250 should have plenty of power to horse around on in stock form :) I think they're bout 45hp and run on pump gas. Little more work to r&r cuz of the coolant & hoses. I have to pull the motor to get the pipe out of mine... LOL A little bit more work to take off the top end cuz of the powervalve. No big deal. I use 12/40 sprockets for our trails. You'll probably want a longer swinger & good brakes. It should be a fun project & I'll be tuned in. I:I
YZ Otis pictures by StickerOtis - Photobucket
Otis

yeah definetly gonna do all the work to the motor before anything prolly just gonna leave it stock and see how it works....he says it needs a first gear but i wanna tear into before i order anything.....will prolly be next weekend before i can get the motor prolly gonna take sometime for me to complete cuz i work outta town all week but im looking forward to it.....also i got the stock motor running pretty good didnt realize how peppy it actually is.......was running a little crappy but i took the tors off and took the little snorkel piece off the airbox and a fresh plug and it was like a new bike amazing power difference...ran like a bat outta hell with the airbox lid off but i dont have any jets and it would cut out sometimes so i had to put it back on

Reactions: 2000blasternewb
yah they are pretty peppy, just imagine what that 250 will do lol. perhaps look into what it will cost to get it running and debate on a port job or something for your motor.

lol its kewl man main reason i was gonna do the swap is cuz i can get motor carb exhaust all electrical and any other parts ill need for free cant beat that with a biiig stick but i can start rebuilding the 250 so when the 200 goes down just swap it right in I:I

easy conversion either way, we have done both yz250 and yz250f, minor swing arm modification and then radiator and motor mounts, the 250f exhaust fits almost in stock form, the 2 smoke 250 is a little harder but pretty straight forward. my profile picture is the 250f that my son raced until this year, clay is trying to find some more pictures of both and the dt200. i love motor swaps

Reactions: Cjwilds75
well no updates yet on the motor still outta town.....gonna tear into it this weekend and found a good shop to do the engine work...BUT i did get some other goodies..first i bought a set of awks rear gixxer hydros and full front disc conversion from norman so now i can atleast stop it lol....green and black powermadd handguards, green o ring chain and 14/40 sprockets, green hand grips and even a green gas vent lol if you cant tell im converting to green and black....so when i finally get home and get some work done i will get some pics up asap.

well i got some new stuff put on today, my front disc brake conversion from norm and the rear brake conversion from awk....sure is nice to be able to stop now:D, also got the new chain and sprockets on...while i had all that off i painted the sprocket hub and the hubs black, new grips and a gas tank vent....the 14 tooth front sprocket is alot better.....anyway fixing to head out and pick up the dirtbike so i can tear the motor out and all the parts i need this evening so ill get some pics up later tonight or whenever i get it out

http://tinypic.com/r/4i2d0p/5
http://tinypic.com/r/24c8ms2/5
http://tinypic.com/r/2kfy2t/5
http://tinypic.com/r/2hcoo5y/5
http://tinypic.com/r/50ia0h/5

Last edited: