gahh

May 12, 2010
wv
well since no one will answer this on the 450r forum. last time i rode my 450r, was about 1 or 2 months ago, my air filter fell off! i guess it had been off that whole day because i could here it suck in air but i didnt think anything about it. well my airbox was really dirty, when we put it back on there was a bunch of dirt around the ring that the filter goes into. My 450r started for like 10 seconds after that and we found that my engine to carb boot was busted. so my friend got to be a tow truck and pull me home. when i got to the down hill place right before my house i got it started and it ran enough to get me home which is like 1/4 of a mile. It was bogging and back fireing, and as soon as i pulled in it shut off. Im afraid that it may have got a bunch of dirt in the carb and the motor. Should i be concerned just about the carb or the motor as well? please help. also the reason i havent rode it in a long time is because were doing a winter xc build!!!

sorry to say it's probably the motor not the carb. dirt, sand, and dust will eat the rings right off and score the cylinder. not to mention the valves and such

I'd be worried about the engine, and the cost of a repair. I have 2 friends with 450's (1 LTR and 1 TRX) and both have been in the shop this year for valve train work. The TRX, just this week. He was told it would probably need 2 intake valves ($400 including labor) but got by with just adjustment ($75) and was told it was on the thinnest shim. The mechanic said that most of the ones that come in needing rebuilt have neglected air filters. It's crazy that people go out and spend $4K+ on and quad and the hundreds for after market parts, hours and hours picking out graphics, rims, tires, exhaust and "jet kits" then end up with engine damage because of a neglected air filter. I was at his shop once when he started on one of those big 700cc utility quads. It had a lift kit, huge bead lock wheels, new tires, some kind of crazy snorkel thing and the big cargo box thing with the passenger seat/arm rest. It was in because it "just didn't have the power it should and was smoking a little". It was low on oil, low on coolant and the K&N filter was so full of dust that it was a clay orange color. And the owner thought the $1500 estimate was outrageous (the rebuild included plating, a cam, new valves, new valve seats, piston, rings and timing chain). I tried to get the mechanic to add $500 to the estimate and list it as SOF (stupid owner fee). I don't do well dealing with the public.

well it just got rebuilt from top to bottom end this summer. So hopefully it will just be a piston but lets not hope that its even that. I can not get anything loose on it. i may be taking it to the shop and getting it worked on then.

Bad news for sure. If you sucked dirt, your looking at a full rebuild to repair the problem. Valves, valve job, piston, plating, crank and who know what else. Good luck Boss and get ready to open up the piggy bank.

well its still got good compression for got to mention that. If it needs all of that there will be a part out soon...

Just out of curiosity, why did you try to start it and ride it a 1/4 mile to your house when you had a friend towing you? You knew the card boot was messed up and the air filter was off and it had been sucking air, dirt, dust and whatever else!

Just out of curiosity, why did you try to start it and ride it a 1/4 mile to your house when you had a friend towing you? You knew the card boot was messed up and the air filter was off and it had been sucking air, dirt, dust and whatever else!

lmao the question we all wanted to ask

not trying to be a ahole. But my friend decided he wasnt going to tow me up the hill to my house for no damn reason that pisses me off to this day, he has messed up so many things on my quad, stripped my oil drain bolt which is probley why it blew up the first time because the next day it blew up, now he is probley the reason it blew up the second time.

If it was rebuilt at the end of summer and the last time you rode it was 1 to 2 months ago, why was the air box filthy? Basically what you're saying is you rebuilt the top and bottom of a very expensive engine and within weeks the air filter is falling off, the air box is full of dirt and you riding on a cracked carb boot. I hate to kick you when you're down but what do you expect to happen when you don't take care of you're stuff?

dude not doing regular maintenance on ur sh*t will cause issues like this, its ur own damn fault man, i hope u learn ur lesson and before u ride the sh*t out of it check little sh*t before u go ride. its routine maintenance that helps make something last a little longer. it works everytime.

no it was built in the beggining of summer, sorry if said that. I had rode it about every day that summer. and cleaned it. the reason the airbox was dirty is because there are 2 holes in the lid and it was a very dusty ride were we were at. not to mention i had to go through some mud to get there also. i dont it did any damage to the crank it still has good compression.

I wouldn't even kick that engine. the more you move it at this point the more damage you do. all that grit in there just sanding away at bearings and surfaces.... not good

well if all you guys say is wrong with it i can say good bye to getting gthunder revalves. and also good bye to my quad.

well if all you guys say is wrong with it i can say good bye to getting gthunder revalves. and also good bye to my quad.

I'm not saying all that is wrong with your engine but all that is what you opened the door to. I don't run a lid but I physically look at the air filter every time I put gas in the tank. If you are using a piece of equipment and you hear or feel something change, find out what it is and why (anything.....cars, trucks, bikes, quads machines at work and so on). Look at it like this: You just stopped at the ATM to get some cash and on your receipt you notice $1500 is missing. Do you just not think anything about it or do you go to the bank and find out where you money went? Now substitute the $1500 with the cost of a "Full GMR motor rebuild" and the ATM receipt with the sound of your fresh engine sucking air. I hope you get lucky and the carb caught all the crap not having a filter installed properly but either way, I more hope you learn to never let things go this wrong, this far.

I feel ur pain. It may be as bad as desribed but it may only need a valve job. All 4 valves are less than $200 and if stock are ss then just lap em in and be good. Untill u take the head off u wont know. It all depends on how much dirt u sucked in. I have a friend who races a trx 450 and his filter has come off twice and all that was needed was a valve job. FYI Mr OConnor can do the job and do it well :=)

Maintenance is the key to all equipment. I clean and oil my air filter, change my plug, and inspect everything before every ride. I dont go.ride my blaster if the filter is loose or off. I check it and if its loose, I gey a screwdriver out and tighten it. Takes 30 seconds and saves me money.