front shoe brake performance

atc

Aug 27, 2008
Dallas
What can be done to make the front shoe brakes work there best for performance riding / racing? (besides replacing them with discs.)

I'm doing a front hub breakdown this week and wanted to tune up the brakes and drums if I can get some tips on making them bite better.

thanks,
ATC

yeah i think my brake cables keep stretching cause my adjustments never really stay for very long i wonder if getting new cables will liven it up a little the hydro kit is a little expensive for us on a budget.

I saw and example of grooved brake shoes. I'm thinking of putting the grooves 1 inch apart at a 45 degree angle accross the shoe. Is that what you're thinking?

Also, the example didn't have the groove cut all the way through the braking material. Do you recommend i not go all the way to the metal with the groove?

ATC

It would most likely be the braking surface keeps wearing out. Given the leverage the brake lever has, a lot of cable will come out for a little pad movement. This would seem like a lot of cable adjustments for a small difference in pad wear. (Just my 2 cents.)

ATC