From the ground up!

mike96

Jun 28, 2012
Phoenix, Az
Well, here is where it starts! The pile of parts I picked up for $350. The only major parts missing for one complete quad for the most are part are a new Lt crank case, a couple of clutch components and the rear rims/tires. Everything else appears to be there. I did a quick assembly just to see whats what. As you can see there are two frames the silver one is a little hacked up (front motor mount and one of the chain roller pins is missing) but from what I can tell it is straight. The white frame looks to have taken a hard hit in the front end and is slightly tweaked where the lower front a-arms bolt on. so I think I will use the white frame to fix what is wrong with the silver one and scrap the rest of it. I have no intentions of using the 2+ swing arm which appears to be a stretched stocker and the long travel shock. So it will be for sale or trade very soon depending what the offers are. As for the build list I am thinking...
Fix the parts of the frame that need repair, add some gussets to the frame, and paint all the frame and suspension components black.
Paint the tank cover, front lid and rims a nice dark red like the seat and leave the rest of the plastics white.
Rebuild the motor with a mild port/polish, fresh gaskets and seals, make the ignition timing adjustable for some fine tuning, shave the head for a little more compression, mod the air box a little, and add a reed cage spacer.
I am considering making my own muffler. Something a little longer than stock maybe not quite so big around and open through the middle so it is free flowing (from what I've been reading the longer silencers are better for lower end power than short ones.
For the time being other than that it will just be making things work right and look good. A few things I have am still looking into are raising the cylinder a tad to get the piston to fully clear the exhaust port (I don't yet know what effect that will have on the power so I haven't decided if it will get done or not) and whether or not I find a pipe that will suite my riding style that might go on as well. also on the chopping block (if I can find one for the right price) is a little larger carb. With the mods I have listed it will definitely need re-jetting. Whether or not it will need to go up in size, we will see.

Thats it for now. Maybe some work on it later tonight. We'll see...

Pics...

Both frames.

20120630_100029.jpg

20120630_100042.jpg

Extended swing arm and long travel shock.

20120630_100103.jpg

Pile-O-Parts

20120630_100918.jpg

20120630_102030.jpg

20120630_110614.jpg

Partially assembled.

20120630_115028.jpg

The motor, in pieces...

20120630_115133.jpg

20120630_115157.jpg

The tweak in the white frame.

20120630_124526.jpg

holy shizzle, thats some pile of parts
good luck with the build and keep the pics coming of your progress

oh and BTW, pass on repairing/replacing that missing chain roller stud, the aftermarket roller bearing ones require those studs to be cut off, and replaced with a long bolt that runs thru the roller and into the welded on nut of the frame, the stock stud does not fit thru the roller bearings

MODQUAD REAR CHAIN ROLLER W/BEARING YAMAHA BANSHEE BLASTER WARRIOR ATV 4X4 RED | eBay

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ryguy21s22
Well... poop. It has been almost 2 years since I started this thread and apparently I got rid of most of the original pictures that i started with.

I suck...

Anyway, I have done quite a bit to the quad so I will be taking some more pictures and uploading soon, but for now just to cover the basics.. I picked up the original pile of parts thinking that there were enough parts to put together (or almost put together anyway) a complete quad. Well as it turned out I was missing more than I originally thought and it was going to cost a bit more that expected to finish the project. So I started looking for something else and ended up with a complete (and in one piece) parts blaster for $250. Tires and seat were shot, the frame was cracked, bill of sale only, and the guy that I picked it up from said he couldn't get it started after it had sat at his brothers place for over a year. I was planning on using the parts to complete my blaster anyway so that didn't really matter to me as long as all the small parts I was missing from the engine were there and the axle was straight everything else was icing on the cake to me. The engine kicked over alright, felt like it had good compression and I didn't hear anything too out of the ordinary. So I spent the last week putting all the pieces together and ended up with a complete running quad. Yes it ran but made a slightly unnerving klacking noise and figured it was probably a bad bottom end. So I started tearing it apart again... And guess what. NOTHING... : ) perfectly fine. Looks like the motor had been recently rebuilt. $30 for a top end gasket kit is a small price to pay for a good piece of mind. So, that still leaves me with the question of what the klacking noise was I heard, now I am thinking it was possibly just running a little too lean at idle. I have a lower end gasket kit so I plan on taking the clutch cover off and taking a look in there just to make sure everything is good on that side of the motor but otherwise everything looks good. I will try and get some pictures uploaded tonight and posted. Buy FIY the build list goes as follows.

- Blaster motor bored over to about 68mm and the intake ported and exhaust smoothed (not even opened up to the full size of the exhaust gasket and they didn't even touch the transfer ports) so I will probably be finishing the port and polish work on that.
- Pipe that came with the parts blaster possible an older trinity or graydon proline pipe and DG silencer
- Banshee carb refitted with the blaster carb guts (both of which measure 28mm on the outlet side of the carb).
- TORS delete with the idle adjust screw installed
- UNI foam filter in the stock air box.

Aside from that basically going to just get a paint and cleanup for the time being until I go in for surgery on the wrists then it will be small things and stockpiling parts for the next tear down and rebuild.

Things still on the list of to do but probably not yet...
- Send spare head to Ken for rework
- Better shocks
- Better brakes (hydros)

That said off to the garage to take some pictures.

As promised here are some PICs...

I was originally going to go with a black on red theme but not sure i like it all that much. Might be changing it up a little...

The banshee carb in the process of being blasterized... I tapped and plugged the port going to the banshee second carb with an allen screw.

Just a hair under 28mm

The piston in pretty good shape

I also threw in a reed spacer for some extra lower end.

Hard to tell but it kind of looks like it as smoother out a little but not much

Not quite big enough...

Stock head.

The new chain I picked up at a yard sail for $5... score...

The pipe and silencer i am working on cleaning up and polishing. The silencer needs work but the pipe cleaned up nicely...

I really need to start looking at things as I pull them apart to see if they usable. Luckily I have anther cylinder lying around and the wife agreed it needs to go to the machine shop, so my spare cylinder, the piston, and the head are all going to be sent off to Ken Oconnor for some work :D (I hope they are anyway). Gonna have him bore the cylinder to match the piston I am sending him and have rework the squish band and bowl.

Pics...

There is a ring around the inside of the cylinder. right about the bottom of the ports.

Found out the odd looking flattened part in the intake track is actually a chunk missing from the aluminum casting. The bottom end on the motor is clean and there is no signs of damage so I am guessing that the chunk came out and the engine was rebuilt afterwords using the same cylinder.

Some pics of some of the port work I was working on before I picked up the spare motor and decided to use it instead. It is still in work so please be gentle on the review. I will have to get pics of the bottom of the transfer ports before it gets set out to Ken...

Any help identifying this piston would be great. Just in case i need to get new rings. The piston overall doesn't look too bad.

If that piston measures within specs, I see no reason why it could not be put back into service.

There is little evidence of wear in the ring grooves, and blow by signs are minimal.

The marks below the exhaust port look like either moisture from standing for a while did freeze the rings to the cylinder, or indeed the piston may be sloppy in the bore.

nice work so far and plan of attack for the future.
that home porting isn't bad for "in progress"

It is coming along slowly.... Which kind of sucks because I would really like to go ride soon. Weather here in southern Nevada is gonna start getting hot. I did pick up a couple of new bits for the DIY port job which should help things along, Shame it is gonna have to wait until the cylinder gets back from Ken. I need to find a box to shove it all in so that I can get this stuff in the mail. I am pretty sure if that piston is truly unusable, he will let me know. Mean while time for little things.... Give it a bath, dismantle and paint the rear swing arm and paint along with the lower front a-arm. I did trim the extra set of front fenders I have lying around. I will have to take more pictures of it once I get everything cleaned up and looking decent.

Well, finally got everything out in the mail to Ken the other day. Sent him the head, Cylinder, and piston. Asked him to let me know what he thought of the piston and if it is still usable. He should have the package tomorrow so hopefully he will be able to get back to me either Saturday or Monday and let me know if I need a new piston or not.

As for the rest of the blaster progress will be slow to non existent for the next few days. I have to put some effort into the house and get it ready for sale, so I will be focusing on things like replacing some of the flooring, light paint work, small fixes... Hopefully I will be done with all that about the same time I get the top end back from Ken and I can just roll right into putting my ride back together. Do some break in and tuning for the weekend. Not next but maybe the weekend after.

Got a call from Ken this morning, and he recomends a new piston... Not because the top looks like it had been beaten up badly, but because it is out of round. :( So I have a new Wiesco on order, and in the mean time I will be bouncing between the blaster and working on the house.

Well. Parts came back fro KOR earlier this week. However with all the things we have going with the house not much has been done to the blaster. but today I took a few minutes and did a little bit to the blaster. I put the new piston on as well as the cylinder and reed cage. The head is just sitting on the bike do to the fact that both of my cans of copper spray are packed up and I am trying to figure out where I can get my hands on some without having to buy a third can... The exhaust flange is also on but loose, it is a bit too thin and I need to wrangle up a couple of washers to get it to torque down correctly. After that all I have left to do is tighten up the clutch, do a leak down test, heat cycle/break in, change the lt front spindle and for the most part and I can tune it out and start riding it.

I have a twist throttle on it right now but when I can not purchase the wrong parts and get the correct cable in I plan on putting a thumb back on it. I am looking at a newer thumb housing without the TORS switch to clean up the handle bars a little. I also ended up pulling the clutch basket and replacing it, the both gears on the back of the outer basket were really loose... I also drilled a couple of holes in the clutch baskets to aid with oiling. I only went with one hole on the outer basket though not two...

Pics

almost ride time !
be sure those holes in the basket are deburred on the inside
and no copper spray needed for the head gasket.

OK, well been a while but i finally have had the time to put things back together. Have the engine all assembled and have started the break in process. Engine ported and polished by me. Cylinder bored and head re chambered by KOR, new Wiesco piston, new gaskets, had to swap the clutch basket and balance shaft gear do to there being too much slop in the rivets. Also had to pull the motor back out and flip it over so that I could cut the old shift shaft and remove it. It was bent just enough to keep me from being able to pull it out... Only thing left to do is small things and it will be ready for the trail for the last bit of break in (bolts in the body, clean up wiring ect...). I do have a question though. during my heat cycle I noticed that the pipe bounces in and out of the flange like the spring isn't holding it tight enough. It is making a horrible mess. This is the first 2stroke I have had with an aftermarket pipe (pathetic isn't it) and I am starting to wounder if my spring is just too loose or is it suppose to be able to do that?