Flywheel Puller Doesn't fit.

MercMenace

Mountain Man
Apr 27, 2014
Cheyenne, Wy
Anyone have this issue?
Ordered the Tusk flywheel puller and the threads are wrong. The puller has a fine thread but the flywheel has a courser thread. I could get the puller to just catch the first thread and that's all she wrote.

89 Blaster.

that /\
and be sure the thick washer under the nut is removed too, and the puller threaded completely in, or it'll strip the flywheel threads

Sigh. yes i ordered the right one yes i know its left hand thread yes if i could screw it in all the way i wouldn't have posted this.

to the question i actually wanted answered. Has anyone actually encountered this?

Rust and dirt in the flywheel threads. Use a right angle sharp pic to scrape them out.

Not trying to insult your intelligence but do you have the centre screw backed out?

If the bike is second hand the PO could have boogered the threads!

Has anyone actually encountered this?

I did last fall unfortunatly. My threads were totally boogered up from the P.O. This is by no means the right way to do this, but I drilled & tappped the 2 holes in the flywheel, drilled 2 holes in a gear puller on the flat bottoms, tightened the bolts up and popped it off that way. It wasn't easy and I was actually scared a few times from noises that puller was making.

The mess I was left with was a bad stator, bad flywheel, and crank threads that were messed up.
I ended up finding a stator and flywheel, I had too buy a die to chase the threads back, and then it was ok...but about $100 later.

This was a last Resort method, I really didn't want to do, but I couldn't figure out any other way. I'd suggest trying to do some of the other things the guys said.

Is it possible that a PO has fitted a difference engines flywheel, there must be some out thereòik that are Blaster compatible.

That's what I was wondering. If this might be aftermarket. I am getting a thread guage from a buddy and see if another machinist friend can fab the puller.

Finished replacing all the other seals I can get at. Back together the motor holds 7 lbs of pressure so It appears the flywheel Side seal is good. I still want it replaced as that is now the weak link.

3 solid heat cycles and a run around the block I am happy as hell.

Again I'm totally sorry for acting like a dickhead in my posts earlier. I appreciate the help.

Right now no leaks. If my machinist can't favor me then yeah I'll order a new flywheel and bend the crap out of the old one.

No, stop that. Get some acetone and automatic transmission fluid and mix them together. Soak the recessed part of the flywheel where the nut sits with the quad on it's side for about an hour. Then, take a rubber hammer (or a regular one, just be careful) and tap very lightly all around it over and over until it budges and pull it off.

Costs like $10 and you have an extra flywheel that you can have lightened or sell. No need to destroy something that you don't have to. Btw, fang type pullers will roll a flywheel backwards in an instant.

I wouldn't recommend it, but I watched a buddy solve his problem by unbolting the flywheel and revving the bike up until it wobbled loose. Just saying...

Sweet that's a good Idea. Maybe I should carry some of the mix on the trail. Never know when the Blaster might roll over and offer me the opportunity. LOL! Actually almost went over last weekend.

My Friend took a look at it and saw that the very end (beginning) of the threads was mashed up. He refreshed that first maybe 1/16" and the puller screwed right in.

All my seals are new and this baby doesn't leak a drop.

Thanks everyone for all the input and a shoutout to KOR for getting me all the parts needed to refresh the bottom end.

As a side note machinist measured tolerances in my crank and they were all to spec. so no bottom end rebuild needed...... YET!!