Fluid types?? Best use,,,

Joe Bennett

Jan 6, 2015
I am new to yamaha blasters and was curious as to the steps I should take to properly maintain my bike and what fluids to use how much and how often to change and check them thank you

They have royal purple at the napa around the corner... Thoughts?

the only fluid you have to change in a blaster is for the transmission and I use Honda hp trans oil its 80w/85w its only 8 bucks at the Honda dealer down the street .. royal purple is pretty expensive. I change the trans oil maybe every 5 or 10 rides depending on how hard I ride it holds 650ml and the Honda bottle has the exact measurement on the side

if you have stock oil injection for the motor all you have to do is fill up the reservoir in the back with 2 stroke oil if you have the oil block off you mix your oil in your gas at 32:1

if you have stock oil injection for the motor all you have to do is fill up the reservoir in the back with 2 stroke oil if you have the oil block off you mix your oil in your gas at 32:1
I was told I could use 10-30 motor oil as well?

Yes you can. Or Atf 4, Just don't use anything with friction modifiers. Like said above it takes 650ml but that is when it is dry. there is a little sight glass if you can see it but add slowly and keep checking. You will know if you over fill it because it will start to come out the vent tube when she is warm/hot, try not to over fill though. Also for the injection oil it will say it is for oil injection, not pre mix. Although there are some oils that say pre mix and oil injection. Just read the bottle.

There are different injection oils for different weather conditions also. If you don't ride in the winter, a standard injector oil is fine. If you ride in cold weather, get injector oil specific to cold temps.

There are different injection oils for different weather conditions also. If you don't ride in the winter, a standard injector oil is fine. If you ride in cold weather, get injector oil specific to cold temps.
The oil tank has been removed so I premix....
Will it hurt anything if I overfill trans?
It was almost empty when I bought bike

It will just overflow out the overflow tube and make a little mess depending how over full. Make sure tube is clean and there are no obstructions so it can do its job if need be.

I would drain what is in there and fill to 650ml.
The sight glass is incredibly inaccurate. if the trans oil is low I would leak test the motor to see if you blew an oil seal. there is always a reason for fluids being low.

As Merc says, it would be a good idea to leak test the engine to see if the tranny oil has been drawn through into the crankcase.

If a seal is not sealing well, air can also be drawn through and may be creating a dangerously expensive lean mixture condition, which could fry a piston.