First Ride

dksix

Apr 16, 2012
North East Tennessee
After at least a year I had mine out for some breaking in today. Just rode some around the house, first time it's been started and I'm following KOR break in routine......so no performance reports yet. This is the engine from the all stock first bore 01 I bought first, with a KOR topend (ported, head modded, bored and honed), WiseCo piston kit and OEM gaskets (all from a trade I did with KOR, thanks again, sir Ken) and never open bottom end. Along with the engine this is the first time out with the +4" swing arm and Kawasaki 400 rear shock. Suspension feels really good in choppy stuff and didn't bottom at the bottom of the steep hills. Front end stayed down going up hill but still easy to get up when crossing a ditch with some weight shifting and a bleep of the throttle. I started with a 330 main, needle in the middle clip, pre-mixing now with a new Uni filter and still running the DG exhaust. After being pro DG for some long, I have to admit it's not going to favor the KOR topend as it did on the stock engine. The pipe just doesn't seem to be able to handle the increased flow that the port work wants/needs. I still have the full FMF system, will be trying it next time I ride it. Id say it would take me a couple of weeks to get the 2 tanks recommended before I start the plug chops. I feel pretty safe with the 330 main, mid 70's at 1500 ft elevation.
The chassis is my red 04 no bends or breaks. The front has extended a arms (think the are Bugard), stock front hydro brakes, banshee shocks and Blue Lables 1/4 reversed wheels. The back has +3" spacers, 18" tamers and 8X8 Blue Lables. Swing arm is extended 4 inches, using the shock from a KFX400 and stock Blaster read Hydro brakes. That should about cover it. Snapped a couple of pics up at the top of my hill. A lot of dust but still looks pretty good, IMO. Very happy with the stance. I have a set of 10" bead locks that will go on it when I find 20x10 tires and then maybe move up to a 22" tire in front. I still have to get my nerf bars installed and rear skid plate but all and all it's ready to be ridden now. Here is 3 pics I took while I was up behind the house.

Cool thing was that even after being apart for a year and is basically a new engine, it started on the first kick. Got to love the oil burners!

Looks very nice. Good to see you got it together and are ready to put in some seat time. After a ride or two you will be ready for the next mod:)

I'm surprised you haven't fouled a plug yet. A DG pipe and 330 main seems huge. If the motor is leak free and it likes it that's all that matters.

Wifesblaster, back to back the DG pulled better than the FMF on the oem stock engine (tried them back to back one day). It's still early and I've not pushed the engine, the DG not handling the increased flow is just what I expect. Guess I'll go with a bigger carb and more suitable exhaust for it. If I find the right deal on a right bend I'll get an intake to fit one of the 34/35mm carbs and if I find a deal on a Toomey or Pro Circuit I'll get a 28MM for the stock intake. I've used Pro Circuit and FMF on bikes, always preferred the Pro Circuit and suspect the same on the Blaster. I my mind I figure the Pro Circuit to be close to the Toomey but a right bend needs more carb to get full advantage.

I'm surprised you haven't fouled a plug yet. A DG pipe and 330 main seems huge. If the motor is leak free and it likes it that's all that matters.
The reason that the plug has not fouled is that at below 3/4 throttle the main jet would not have come into play.

The #330 may rear its ugly head when it gets the WOT plug chop treatment.

I expect the 330 is safe to start plug chopping, ran a 280 with the air box lid off, DG exhaust on the stock engine. I would expect the port work to need 3 to 4 sizes up. I'd much rather foul a plug from being too rich than what happens running too lean.