extended swingarm and shock

jasonman17

Feb 7, 2011
was wondering if the 400ex shock will fit a extended swing arm and if not what ones will? I am looking into buying a shock but dont want to get a shock that will only fit stock swingarm. Thanks

its about the shock mount location not the length of the swinger, so as long as teh shock mount is in the stock location any length swinger will work with a 400ex shock.

another question is the older blasters swing arm and the new blasters swing-arm with the hydraulic brake system the same swing arm? I have a older blaster but it doesnt look like my new blasters brake will fit it. Thanks

another question is the older blasters swing arm and the new blasters swing-arm with the hydraulic brake system the same swing arm? I have a older blaster but it doesnt look like my new blasters brake will fit it. Thanks

the swingarm is the same but the carrier is different, the brake mount is not the same for the hydraulics and the cable systems.

again another question, how long do I get of a new swing arm? whats a good size but not drag racing size, lol. Thanks.

again another question, how long do I get of a new swing arm? whats a good size but not drag racing size, lol. Thanks.

ok im gonna have to start charging you for this.... lol. ive only got a +2.5 on mine with a good deal of power mods but a +3 or a +4 looks nice and dosent hurt trail manuverability much.

where do you live ?
where do you ride ?
what type of terrain (sand or dirt) ?
how much do you weigh ?
how long have you been riding your blaster ?
how wide is your axle ?
what mods have you done (really) ?
what mods do you plan to do in the future (really) ?
How much money do you want to spend (what is your budget) ?

+4 is the overall winner for an extended swingarm. Perfect length for the dunes , trail riding , you can drag on it too . IMO though you need to move the shock mount closer to the pivot bold by about 1.5 - 2 inches . when you extend the swinger 2 , 3 , 4 inches the extra leverage causes even a stiff 450R shock to feel spongy . Moving the shock mount forward will cause the rear to sit higher ( by a little bit ) , but then when you have a fully adjustable shock like a 450R , dialing it in is a breeze.

you do know the more leaverage and length of the shock, the better the ride is.
also the reason you give for moving the shock mount close is a stupid and cheap ass reason. you should just have the shock resprung and revalved.

where do you live ?
where do you ride ?
what type of terrain (sand or dirt) ?
how much do you weigh ?
how long have you been riding your blaster ?
how wide is your axle ?
what mods have you done (really) ?
what mods do you plan to do in the future (really) ?
How much money do you want to spend (what is your budget) ?

I live in central Michigan, I ride just about everything here in Michigan from sand to loose dirt to hard pack dirt. Most of my riding would be loose dirt. I weigh 205, riding my blaster for about a year, axle is stock, mods as of right now is not much but new air filter with lid off, new tires, bigger sprocket in back DG exhaust and tores removed. Future mods are BBK (I have it just have to get a new piston than I can put that on and rejet) bigger carb, longer swingarm and a arms, toomy exhaust, motor work like head mill and maybe stroker new suspension setup. budget I wish I knew as I will just be buying things here and there. I know all the stuff I just said would be alot but I dont want to go all out but I'll spend a little.

for your current mods, you dont need a longer swingarm.
i would way to do the longer swingarm till after you do the BBK and a-arms and see if you like your stock length, some people do.

A longer swinger is not always needed just because people say it is. I'm using a stock length swinger still on an LT250R with 68hp. The only time it felt short was in the sand dunes. Everything else is fine.

well my other blaster has a rigged up swing arm that make is like 3 or 4inch longer but my problem was that my disc brakes wont hook up to the bracket on that older style blaster but I think I can do some disassemble and reassemble and have it fit. i'll try to put a picture of it later today so you guys can see what I have going on. If it works than i'll use that. I know my stock newer blaster I cant keep the nose down on it for the first 2-3 gears on packed ground but the older blaster had the BBK on it and ran slower than my stock blaster. Pretty much im doing part swapping on the blasters right now.

if you cant keep the noise down on a stock blaster, you need to know how to ride it better. no offense but you should be able to keep the front end down and it should only come up when you want it too.

I have a +3. IMO I say +3 for trails and +4 for MX/Dunes with a +1 forward A-arm setup for a wide/even base. I'll beg to differ from others. I had a +3 on my Blaster when it was still stock and was glad I had it compared to my friend's stock swingarmed Blaster. It takes a lot of the nerves out of the front end taking off since the wheelbase is so small compared to a longer/wider setup where you can get on the gas harder and faster without having to worry so much about losing traction on the front end during some turns. Riding the stock swingarmed blaster felt like the ass was going to fall off of it at any moment even though you can toss it around wherever you want. Even with my +3, my front end takes off through 2nd and 3rd, so I can't imagine what it would be like with the stock swingarm. I wouldn't want it any longer for the trails though.

if you cant keep the noise down on a stock blaster, you need to know how to ride it better. no offense but you should be able to keep the front end down and it should only come up when you want it too.

Once you slap a pipe on there, it's pretty damn hard. I was 175lbs and my ass was almost literally over the handlebars on my friend's Blaster when he had it and that was about the only way to keep it from taking off. Even then the front wheels will slip off the pavement and want to throw you sideways a bit.

I live in central Michigan, I ride just about everything here in Michigan from sand to loose dirt to hard pack dirt. Most of my riding would be loose dirt. I weigh 205, riding my blaster for about a year, axle is stock, mods as of right now is not much but new air filter with lid off, new tires, bigger sprocket in back DG exhaust and tores removed. Future mods are BBK (I have it just have to get a new piston than I can put that on and rejet) bigger carb, longer swingarm and a arms, toomy exhaust, motor work like head mill and maybe stroker new suspension setup. budget I wish I knew as I will just be buying things here and there. I know all the stuff I just said would be alot but I dont want to go all out but I'll spend a little.

+3 or +4 after you get some more ponies under the hood. for now, leave it alone. extending the rear end now, will make it feel weak since youll be loosing traction in the rear, softening up the rear shock and more easily bottom it out and your turning radius is going to decease with the longer wheel base.

a good swinger is going to cost you $200-250 (new or used depending on finish and what all is included). Youll need a longer chain, and is a good time to replace your sprockets at the same time. At your weight, youll want to step up to a 400 rear shock. something a lil stiffer with better valving. those run $50-100, then youll need a bushing kit for $30.

watch eBay or the classified here.