expanding gas tank

Before the advent of bllaster desert tanks, we did the hot water expando trick, that and pulling out the white plastic piece in the fill neck gave an extra half gallon or so. you need to do the process a few times. you arent going to gain everything all at once. Also block the bottom of the tank by the pipe etc so it doesnt expand where you dont want it to.

Running a 2 stroke out of fuel can do irreparable damage as it creates an extremely lean mixture which is also void of any lebrication.
Really ?...I cant tell you how many times Ive run my chainsaw ,weed eater , blower out of gas , None of them have ever been damaged in fact my Stihl chainsaw dealer says to run it till it runs out of gas for the winter. Both of my Yamaha jet ski manuals say the same and are 100 hp and 125 hp twin 2 strokes. Just an old wives tale !

Last edited:
Running a 2 stroke out of fuel can do irreparable damage as it creates an extremely lean mixture which is also void of any lebrication.
Really ?...I cant tell you how many times Ive run my chainsaw ,weed eater , blower out of gas , None of them have ever been damaged in fact my Stihl chainsaw(15yrs old) says to run it till it runs out of gas for the winter. Just an old wives tale !

I am not referring to toys, I refer to a finely tuned machines that is on the verge of lean for best performance.

Read up on lean mixtures and the detonation it can cause, and what happens because of detonation.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I agree to dis- agree....Improperly finely tuned engines, cause detonation not shutting of the gas.;) It has been proven on engines that pre- ignition is far worse than detonation . The 2 terms are often mixed up.Modern computer controlled engines have knock sensors that constantly adjust timing to avoid engine detonation.

Last edited:
yeah but if your running along a trail assuming its not flat your gonna have periods of a lean condition due to the fuel slosh while running down a trail at speed its certainly not the most ideal thing to put the motor thru now add in to that a nice hot day and hard running. Making it so the oil tank is just a container would be the best idea just pour it in and go