drilled brake rotor, made by me

gizzy2014

Rippin' Hard
Jul 22, 2012
dickinson ND
so i was looking through ken's video's today on youtube i was bored and i discovered he had one of drilling a brake rotor

so being me and being bored having a spare brake rotor and a drill press i made one to, its not perfect by any means but hey it should work

i drilled small hole then stepped up to 1/4 inch bit (broke one right in half, it was old and getting dull anyway) and then chamfered the edges of holes when done.

whats the point of it?

same point they run drilled and slotted rotors on performance vehicles.......
cooling and allows the brake dust/gases to escape for less brake fade

It seems like a bit of a trade off, drilling holes will keep the brakes cooler, but will lack the friction area get them as hot.

If you ride mud or loose dirt or sand there is a great chance of debris being carried into the pad area and creating wear.

If you ride mud or loose dirt or sand there is a great chance of debris being carried into the pad area and creating wear.

hmm did not think of this....... all i have really is pretty much all sand around me, and i try to avoid mud..... i hate washing it

Imo it looks good. I have delt alooooot with brakes working on cars and trucks and bikes (road) not atv or feeling much with mud and dirt, but a filled and slotted rotor helps with cooling and keeping dust down. By helping to remove the dust you will have a little more friction area for the pad and disc. Now with drilled rotors, that's a little different. Basically a drilled rotor is used or "was" used back in the day to release gas from older asbestos type pads. Basically the gas would get caught between the pad and rotor under heavy braking. Nowadays we really don't have to worry about "gassing" (unless you eat lots of burritos) lol.. but with new ceramic low dust pads is not an issue. But with slotted rotors and drilled rotors are basicly cosmetic imo because unlike a heavy vehicle your really not putting your brakes under that much stress.. But I'm honestly mixed in what i just said because i brake hard sometimes but I'm only a weekend rider. On mx i can see how it would actually help with slotted rotors to remove debris, and i can't see real heavy braking to warp or crack a rotor on an atv unlike a car or truck or road bike. Correct me if I'm wrong i just personally don't hit the speeds and brake so hard to get my brakes that hot.. I'm sure some of yous do though.. Imo i don't see nothing wrong with drilling or slotting your rotors. It looks good keeps them a little cooler and i can't see heat affecting the integrity of the rotor.. Btw you will know if your rotor or rotors are warped because you will feel a pulsing in either your pedal (A) atv/bike rear rotor warp you will feel it in the rear brake pedal,,rear rotor warp in vehicle you will most likely feel it in your seat sometimes brake pedal. (B) front brake warped rotor you will feel a pulsing in your front brake lever bike/atv now in a vehicle you will most likely feel it in your steering wheel and brake pedal under braking,, vehicles usually are about 70/30 some 60/40 when brakes are applied or in that area higher number for front brakes so 70% front and 30% rear when brakes are applied.. now that's for a vehicle not a bike or atv because they use different levels and pedals for front and rear.. sorry let me stop now because i can go on with brakes for days.. Any ways nice job on the drilling of them. What type of bit did you use because rotors are hard..

So in a nutshell nice job..!! Looks good,,, and brakes for these aren't so much as to worry about premature pad wear or warping your rotor..heck the stock front rotors are drilled.. blaster rear brakes are known for not working any ways.. Unless your fortunate to have those sweet gsxr rears!!!

I want the gsxr ones too but my stock ones are working good so I'm content for now..:D

I also drilled my Rear rotor a few years ago, smaller holes than this one but it still looks cool and my brakes didn't work at the time anyways so I figured, hey, whats it gonna hurt? it looks cool and when I get awks breaks im sure itll help a little. I used a tungeston drill bit that already had a countersink in it. like this http://img1.prosperent.com/images/2...arbide_Combined_Drill_Bit_and_Countersink.jpg
this worked amazing for me, just set the press on the slowest speed and used lots of cutting oil and it cut thru like butter.

Last edited: