Does this sound like a easy fix??

Blasterbuilder

May 30, 2011
Minnesota
hi guys on craigslist i found a 2001 Blaster, it has a fmf pipe/silencer, nerf bars, new tires, aftermarket front shocks ( not sure of brand), comes with brand new top end, only thing it needs it a new crank.

are crankshafts easy to put in????, he already has the cases split and parts labeled

$325

what do you guys think??? should i buy it??

crank is about 130-150 i think. if you have a crank installer too it's not too bad. if you don't have a clymers manual get one.

i'd buy that for that price, and cranks can be easy to do, if you've done a few before, and have the $75 tusk crank puller, i had one, and did my sons bottom end, then sold the tusk tool, did my first and last that day
i'd send that bottom to ken oconnor and just let him do it, as i do now

Crank puller to put it back in. If you have a dealer close enough see what they want to install it in left side. Clutch side just slips in,

Crank puller to put it back in. If you have a dealer close enough see what they want to install it in left side. Clutch side just slips in,
ive never put a crank in so would a gear puller work instead ( i already have a couple)?? probably a dumb question but i really dont know...

nope, you MUST HAVE the tusk crank puller, a while back my local dealer split my cases, and installed a new crank for the same price as the tool ....$75

i just watched some of KOR vids on youtube and along with some others, they didnt even show a crank puller the crank just popped right in without anything???

i just watched some of KOR vids on youtube and along with some others, they didnt even show a crank puller the crank just popped right in without anything???

Sometimes you get lucky and don't need a crank puller, but its better to have one and not use it than be stuck without one and break something during (dis)assembly. But I'll tell you now that you won't get a new crank into new bearings without using the puller, at least on one side.The real hassle when changing a crankshaft for the first time is not the crankshaft at all...its the transmission. The first time you take one apart and gears and shift forks go everywhere you will understand. Get the service book and read it and you'll have no trouble.

Sometimes you get lucky and don't need a crank puller, but its better to have one and not use it than be stuck without one and break something during (dis)assembly. But I'll tell you now that you won't get a new crank into new bearings without using the puller, at least on one side.The real hassle when changing a crankshaft for the first time is not the crankshaft at all...its the transmission. The first time you take one apart and gears and shift forks go everywhere you will understand. Get the service book and read it and you'll have no trouble.

thanks for the info. i will inspect the crank that comes with the wheeler im going to buy. he didnt even know if it was bad for sure. ifs its bad i will just replace it. and yes the trannsmission looks like a mess, will refer to diagrams.