DIY seatcover anyone done this?

2strokesmoke

Jul 13, 2009
scotland
bought a seat cover off ebay from the states, our airspace is open now apparantly so should get it soon. ive never fitted one before, my last bike i had done cost me £35 to fit it. so it will cost me that again if i get it done locally.
the thing is although they made a nice job, its only staples right? i could buy a stapler for less than £35 and do it myself?
i dont want to do it if theres a very good chance ill get it wrong but if its as simple as rattling some staples in place ill do it, does anyone have experience?

Hey friend from over seas, it is not that bad. I wouldnt wast my time or money on buying a seat cover. just go to your local fabric shop and by some leather or vinal. I just did mine yesterday. All you have to do is get some good spray glue and spray the fabric and the cushin first. Then start at the back and lay it down smoothing it out as you go looks better that factory when done. Once you do that just staple the flaps underneath.

Reactions: 2strokesmoke
that stapler looks like it would work.. i did a couple seat covers and to get them to look right with no loose ends and lined up right isnt the easiest. it can be done but i didnt have fun doing it.. lol

They ar not that bad to do... Just takes time and patients. Oh and like MR305 said a good as staple gun. I did one years ago on my old KX125 and the seat cover had to be lined up with the garphic kit on both sides of the tank/radiator shrouds. But with time and patients I got it done and it looked great.....

Wish I had pics of it but this was 13 years ago LOL.....

i did mine on my 88 blaster not too long ago. i have a heavy duty stapler though. but it wasnt very hard. i think it took my like a hour

i bought an n-style gripper. think ill go with the spray glue idea and line it up right then just leather it with staples until its tight. its not got graphics on the sides all i need to line up i think would be the logo in the centre at the back.
thanks for the input guys think ill give it a go, sod it.:D

DON'T GLUE THE COVER TO THE SEAT FOAM!!!!! All you need is staples. Start in the back and pop a couple of staples in from the center to the outside edge. Next pop a few in the front. Glue will not let you stretch the cover. Next, take a heat gun and start heating up the cover. Don't burn it. The heat gun will make the material much more forgiving. When the cover is soft ( from the heat ) start to pop a few staples in the sides. Be sure to stretch the cover even on both sides. It's not uncommon to have to remove a few staples and do them again after the cover stretches. It just takes a little patience.

i did my n style gripper with a cheap, and kinda broken, air stapler, it worked and has stayed on, just have an extra set of hands to hel u stretch it over, and us the girls blowdryer to heat it up so it can stretch a little

works alot better with a good staple gun( dewalt, makita ect.) and whenever i put a cover on i get some one to help. i also use a heat gun so its easier to stretch and it gets it nice and tight around edges

its prob going to be a huge picture.. too lazt to resize it sorry

2u61yjs.jpg