Died, wont restart... please help

Norris406

Feb 19, 2010
Bought a 96, bored 240 auto oil injection disabled.... goin up a hill, not quite half throttle, made a weird noise and died... no sputter or anything, just quit. It will not restart. Got spark, got compression, got fuel, new reeds..... Any ideas?

Have you clean the carb? hows the airfilter. What is the compression reading? Is it backfiring at all?

What mods do you have.

air filter is new, carbs clean, havent used compression gauge, but it does have some compression.... not sure on the mods, bought it as is except air filter and Boyeson reeds. Upon initial inspection, found 10mm bolt layin in carb side of reed cage, cylinder wall looks clean with no scoring. I will get one weird sounding backfire maybe once every 10 kicks or so....

air filter is new, carbs clean, havent used compression gauge, but it does have some compression.... not sure on the mods, bought it as is except air filter and Boyeson reeds. Upon initial inspection, found 10mm bolt layin in carb side of reed cage, cylinder wall looks clean with no scoring. I will get one weird sounding backfire maybe once every 10 kicks or so....

You need to buy a compression guage. and check ur crank seals.

yes...on the reeds and air filter. Air filter before it quit, reeds as a possible fix after it quit. Tried several plugs... same as came out of it. Ran great the up until the day it just quit. Weird noise, then it was like someone just turned the key off. and it all happend within a split second.

yes...on the reeds and air filter. Air filter before it quit, reeds as a possible fix after it quit. Tried several plugs... same as came out of it. Ran great the up until the day it just quit. Weird noise, then it was like someone just turned the key off. and it all happend within a split second.

Since you changed the reeds and the airfilter you might of leaned it out if you didnt rejett and burned up the piston or rings.

Oh wait the reeds where after it broke?

The only thing I can figure on the 10mm bolt is that the privious owner dropped it down the intake tube, and magically failed to mention that and then when I hit the gas it sucked through the carb... but not really sure. Havent found any place it could go inside or out....

yeah... reeds came after it quit and I found the 10mm bolt in the carb side of the cage.... reed were hangin open a lil, so I replaced them hopin that was it.... no such luck

im thinking it dosent have enough compression, if i were you i would inspect the top end. When is the last time it was rebuilt?

Not sure when it was rebuilt, havent found any head gasket leaks. whatta u think about the flywheel key? maybe partial sheared? still have spark just at the wrong time?

thanks for all the help everyone... I will try a flywheel key and check compression with a gauge... but what would make it just lose so much compression all at once that it wouldnt even fire off?

so.... flywheel key hasnt sheared completly, but has started to... so I replaced it. But, the problem is definatly compression... so thanx 2strokepower. Im still bumfuzzled as to why it would just loose compression like that and die. So... rings fryed maybe? Havent found and leaks around head gasket... or any air leaks anywhere. Reeds are new.... Any other common cause for quick loss of compression?