Dial a jet

i've read, read and re-read the info on those, and believe they do work, it says they only work if a lean condition is detected, and the only adjustment is at how lean they will kick in, not turn the dail and automatically be richer or leaner

and that snowmobilers run them for the drastic change in temps and altitude they can see, so the same could hold true for our bikes, only working for temp, altitude and possibly a sudden airleak (base, head gasket or intake leak)
i think it would be a good insurance against such things, but shouldnt be used as a crutch for poor jetting
if it saves one topend rebuild, it pays for itself

i know we use them on the cr250 micro engines. well it is a power jet, but you can turn the dial in and out to adjust it.

we run alky though to and alky is way more sensitive to adjustment and fine tuning of jetting.

i am really contiplating running a mikuni super bn34 or 38 on my 240 once i get it built.

these carbs come off of 2 stroke jet ski's and still run jets, but you cant adjust the high and low end by turning needles in and out. i ran one on my 390 honda motor and it was great.

coming from the kart racing myself, it is ashame there isnt bigger carbs for these motors that have no jets, just turn the needles in and out to adjust low and high end. you could do a dual carb setup using tillotson carbs.....but that would be way more hassle then worth while.

Old thread, but I just bought a Dial a Jet kit. I honestly think it would have saved me from my latest engine failure. I had an airleak. This would definately have helped in the event of an airleak. It ISNT an excuse for poor jetting, but it will definately fill in all the lean spots.

My plan is to get my bike jetted properly for my base altitude without the dial a jet. Pretty much everywhere I ride is a higher elevation and a lower temprature than where I live, so its either a wash, or I end up having to go leaner. So I figure Ill jet for my base, get it dialed in, then Ill back off my main jet size a few sizes, slap on the dial a jet and see if it compensates for it. If it is, then its doing its job.

I figure the insurance is worth it, and since nobody on here has ever really used one on a blaster and wrote about it (I did a search), Ill be the first.

As soon as I get my engine back from Ken O'Connor of course :)