cylinder honing

Aug 4, 2011
Elkhart,IN
is it possable to hone a cylinder to fit a 66.42 piston i didnt think it was but my moms friend is trying to tell me otherwise? any help would be appreciatedI:I

actual piston size might be 66.42 and cylinder bore will be 66.50 you mush have piston to wall clearance. it can be bored to that size and then it will need a hone. honeing just smooths the walls after a bore. it also adds the cross stitch pattern inside the walls to help the rings seat

$60-80. Be sure that whoever does the work also knows how to champher the ports correctly. If they say "What?", walk away. It would be possible to hone a cylinder that much BUT it wouldn't be round or straight as the hone would just follow the out of round and taper (normal wear) of the cylinder. Plus it would take forever.

i was on ebay and i found a piston for 67 shipped its made for a .20 over stock bore the brand name is namura or something like that it says its cast wats the diffrence in a cast and a forged piston wich one would be better for trail riding and the occasionall wot run down the street.:-/

also thanks alot to everyone really appreciate the help love this site its amazing would be sol without it lol i would be in the garage trying to hone a cylinder to .020 over haha :)

The reason honing is so important is because you need that cross hatch so that the oil doesn't run off of the cylinder to quickly so getting that proper degree in the cross hatch is a must,all you need is to call Ken up then send your cylinder to him let him know what you need and let him deal with the rest,he'll even send you the piston with it if you want it simple ya know,trust me I've seen his prices and he gives good deals bud and great work so give him a try :)