Crank seals and drive sprocket play.

Davo

Oct 3, 2014
iowa
Can crank seals be replaced without splitting the case? Some brown fuel came out of the stator cover when I took it off.

I noticed some in and out play to the drive sprocket when I was testing driving lightly. Should that be tight and what may cause this?

Last edited:
Yes they can. Very simple.

Take a drywall screw and thread in seal. Don't go to far and hit the bearing, just enough to get some good bite. Then take some pliers and pull.

Reinstall with PC seal grease. Make sure you cover the threads on the crankshaft with electrical tape to protect seal when sliding over threads.

^^ like said above and PC-03 seal grease has been out of stock for a while and it is now in stock again. :)

It is more of a atv/motorcycle thing. Very good stuff though, a must for new seals imo. You can find it online, rockymountain atv has it. Or strait through pro circuit but there shipping in high.

If you are changing the gearbox side, remove the collar and apply a little bonding agent to the crankshaft.

Collars have been known to leak!

Blaaster - its the stator side I noticed the fluid in.

I'm sure Ill have to order PC-03 with the seals. Plug chops and pics coming with the spring.

Anyone have any ideas with the slight in/out play in the chain drive gear?

Both seals are most likely the same age, if one leaks the other will soon too. IMO, if you don't know how old the crank seals are, replace them. Very cheap PREVENTIVE maintenance

As to sprocket, the way it mounts, there will be a bit of slop. Shouldn't be much rotational slop of sprocket to shaft.

Thanks ^^ but yeah that was a given. PREVENTIVE is the key here. I was out doing a run down since the weather warmed a little. Getting ready for spring quad parks.

Let them here the song of our people. BBRRRAAAAAAPPPP!

I like working on it. Since I have split a case recently I am a little more confident about changing the seals out. The more I know whats sound in there, the better I feel.