Crank locked?

natej

Jan 3, 2019
Ohio
I’m replacing the piston and cylinder on my ‘02. At some point in time while I had the cylinder off, the piston arm became locked. I can pivot the arm but can’t move it up or down, including with the Kickstarter. This is without the cylinder on, so it has nothing to do with bore size, rings, or whether or not I lubed it. I can’t see anything in the bottom of the case. Any ideas? I’d rather not tear the lower apart if I don’t have to. Thanks

Check the magnets on the flywheel first. The screws get loose and drop a magnet sometimes. If that's not the problem, you have bad main bearings or you dropped a piece of piston into the cases. I have complete bottom end rebuild kits or can rebuild your OEM parts. I sell at eBay prices. feel free to give me a call. 860-230-5003. www.kenoconnorracing.com

Thanks, I'm going to split the case and take a look. I did have some parts of the wrist bearing get loose while removing the old piston so it's possible one might be in the case.

I do think that there is likely debris in the case so I am in the midst of splitting the case. I have seen some resources that say the case can be split from the stator side without opening the clutch cover side at all. I have been able to separate the halves a bit using a case splitter tool but the rear portion of the case (the part farthest from the crank) only opens about half an inch while the front portion (where the splitter is) opens freely. It makes me wonder if the rear portion is just stuck or if there is some attachment inside the clutch cover side that has to be undone. Thanks

Your countershaft is binding on the bearing. I'm thinking dirt is wedged between the shaft and inner race. Take a large C clamp and put a small amount of force on the front motor mount section of the case. LIGHTLY tap the end of the countershaft. Repeat as needed. If the top end bearing fell apart, I'm thinking we have another Chinese top end failure.

Good call, the case is open and I have replaced the seals and cleaned out what was likely a rod from a blown wrist bearing on the piston. After the case opened, I found the main shift shaft and it’s shift fork (#2) laying loose on my bench. It must have fallen out. This has turned into quite the project. Since I opened the case from the clutch side, can I leave the transmission in place and reinstall the fork/shaft or will I need to pull the tranny out? Any thoughts?