Counterballance hitting cases FYI

Tim Lutz

Aug 20, 2009
Columbus OHIO
This is part of a post from another thread I posted today. Thought I would post it as a new topic as an FYI. It is an unknown unseen condition I ran into on my first Blaster I bought in non running condition (melted piston)

when I pulled my motor down I noticed that the counter balance had a tight spot in it's rotation. I had a broken kicker clip so I figured some of it had made it's way up to that area but when I reassembled my cases it still had the tight spot. I took it back apart, cleaned off all the fresh yamabond and found the counter balance was simply hitting the inside of the cases. Don't know how long it had been like this or why or what kind of noise it would of made. The bike had a melted piston when I got it. The supporting bearings were in fine shape and there is no way the ballancer itself could be bent so I just shaved a little off the cases and actually had to take a little off the counter balance also. It's a great running motor now with no ill effects at all.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm sure it had to have been like this when it was new.

Interesting, glad it worked out for ya. Was there many metal pieces in the bottom end? I don't even know the role of the counterbalance I just noticed it myself when I split my cases..

I have the Same Problem, I am going to replace one of the bearings and the counter balance ( i had a spare ) If i see it is still hitting the case, i might do the same as you and fix the case a little.