Cont. Carb issues

cap9709

Aug 20, 2012
Kansas
Ok well as many of you know ive been messing with my carb for quite a while now. Its got to be the jets that are incorrect. Is it possilbe to buy a brand new carb that not only could be easier to tune but also adds horsepower? Thanks!

let me guess. you started tinkerin with it to make power and now it wont run right.

alitte hint!!! back track, set the jets back to stock.

The stock blaster carb is the most easiest to tune

I started tinkering with it to get it to run properly lol. The current pilot jet is a 290, not sure if thats stock. Itll start and run but wont idle and will bog and die.

if the bike was is stock. (stock pipe,motor ect) and it was not running properly i would set the complete carb back to stock and adjust the idle, airscrew and your set. IF it still did not run right IT MAY NOT BE THE CARB THATS YOUR PROBLEM?

Is your bike stock? whats your current mods?

Only mod on it is a full fmf. And i live in kansas city so i wont have to deal with the elevation factor. What pilot would you recommend? Oh and it DOES NOT have an air leak

Ok i run a fmf pipe and my motor is slightly modded. BUT believe it or not i run a 270 main jet and have since before the motor was worked.

so for your main jet i recommend a 270 main but after installing a plug chop is a must to confirm!! (fmf recommends this aswell right on there site.)

i dono the pilot jet size off head but search in on google or here you will find it. the airmixture screw on the side of the carb should be set at 11/2 turns at start and can be dialed in later, The needle in the slide should be at the middle clip. With all this you motor will run MINT!!

edit: check your float bowl Height aswell....SEARCH IT!! and when cleaning the bowl and jets make sure you take the floats out and clean the needle in there aswell.

Only mod on it is a full fmf. And i live in kansas city so i wont have to deal with the elevation factor. What pilot would you recommend? Oh and it DOES NOT have an air leak

Have you looked at the reeds ? made sure they are still in spec ? reeds go bad they need to seal on the reed cage, no gaps ! you got to look close at it.

stock pilot is 32.5.

stock jet is 230.

with a fmf, 260 to 290. you might try a 270 or 280, plug chop to confirm ! (( low speed 1/4 throttle to 1/2 throttle, is not going to effect)) so if your issue is at the low end of the throttle, then its not likely your main jet. but from 1/2 throttle to full throttle is where your main jet works at !!

But if it was running to rich and fouled you plug some, its not gonna run right at any level !

screw, on carb 1 1/2 turns out.

Haver to replaced the plug ? if you running rich, you could have partially fouled the plug !
Your tors, if you are using it, should be at about 2 1/2 to start out with, 4 a starting point.

Your needle should be on the 3rd setting ! middle clip !

And for kicks, hows the seal look on the choke ? if its bad,it can cause some issues too.

Didnt you have a float issue before ? get you get that adjusted right ?

Have you tried a replacement carb kit for $13 off ebaty ? comes with new needle, seals and gaskets and seat.

You should not need to replace a carb, unless it cracked or something.

Sporty

I have brand new boyoson reeds. When i was adjusting it i had the air idle set correctly.It has a brand new plug. I dont know how to tell if a plug is fouled but it could be since my tuning was incorrect i might have screwed it up. Im not sure which is the needle adjustment and how many notches? pics please. Im actually not sure where the pilot is either lol is that the one in the float? Which is the choke seal? Thanks all this info is so helpful!

I'm not a hudered percent sure on tnis but is your tors box still connected because there is the idel air screw on your carb but there is also a idel screw on the tors box its self have you made sure that the adjustments on that are proper....

Mine didn't idel I had to adjust tne idel air screw

the pilot is beside the main jet. its in the deep hole a thin flatt screw driver will loosen it out.

take everything apart and spray cleaner through them or compressed air. make sure there all clear

100_2304.jpg

now there is two small nylon gaskets, one that goes on top and underneath.

100_2305.jpg

100_2306.jpg

C-clip on middle.

EDIT:

Note, that there is two small phillips scews to remove, to remove the needle to adjust.

Last edited:
I am pointing to the long small housing, inside of that, is your pilot. small flat head screw driver to remove.

stock is 32.5. No one ever really changes this, stock size is fine.

100_2307.jpg

Last edited:
Ok ya i never cleaned the pilot. Ive also heard its not a bad idea to stick something down the hole to remove anything at first. Tomorrow ill try and get that done. Just curious, what does adjusting the needle clips do?

the needle, helps control the air/fuel mixture flow.

If you are running lean. you raise the needle, by lowering the c-clip ont the needle.

Everyone and there brother on here for a blaster, runs it in the middle clip.
On a stock blaster, needle,. there are 6 grooves. you want it in the middle.

Make sure your tors idle screw is set right ? I start at around 2 1/2.

One thing, if the cable is old or to tight, it causes it to stick and not work right. I try and squirt some wd-40 into the wire, in the tubing of the cable. and work it.

Remeber the tors big screw is the idle screw. But the cable to the carb/ tors, controls the slider, throttle. it's sticking or to tight and not letting the slide to work right. it can causes issues too.

Sporty

Last edited:
Which would you recommend getting? the 280 or 260? or both?

you should get them both and find a 270 either from the dealer or searching on line. AWk or someone had a link at one time, where to buy them.

But this guy I found on ebay was the cheapest I could find. I bought mine from him.

Sporty