Clutch stopped working

bountyhunter

Dec 24, 2012
Sumner Michigan
Ok I got my blaster up and running
and I let my son run it yesterday because his throttle cable Broke
he comes back after riding it about .5 hrs and tells me the clutch stop working now it will not release at all

Heres what it does theres a lot of free play at the lever like the cables loose but the lever going into the case seems to move as it normally should
it acts like it might just be trying to work the last 1" of travel to the bar
is there an adjustment or something that could have worked loose in side case
just trying to get an idea what to look for when I tare it down
Thanks

is there an adjustment or something that could have worked loose in side case

Definately. Remove the kickstart side cover. You will see the clutch boss and small M8 bolts holding down the clutch springs (x5) in the center, is the adjusting nut and screw. You can adjust this screw which is actually the lock nut for the push rod.

Have a look at the manual to correctly set this.

Be careful with the kicker mechanism. I prefer to remove the kick lever and leave the shaft in the motor while I slide the casing over the shafts. Just put tape over the splines to protect the oil seal.

sounds like the classic symptoms of welded the ball to the adjustment rod.
ask him if he held the clutch lever in while at high speeds/rpms for too long ?

could also be the adjustment nut coming loose

do not run it again until you pull the clutch cover and pressure plate to inspect which
if that nut comes off completely, it can cause major damage in the clutch area

there are 2 rods with a ball bearing between them, as the clutch side spins and the actuator side doesn't, the ball keeps those 2 seperated.
but when holding the clutch in for extended periods at high speeds, the clutch side rod will spin faster than the ball can, and actually weld itself to the ball, which shortens the throw of the entire rods/ball length, and will not push the pressure plate out foar enuf to disengage the clutch, and cause floppy lever...just as you describe.

the nut coming loose will also do this, as it allows the rod to unthread out of adjustment.

if it is only loose nut related, disconnect the clutch cable at the lever or the actuator, turn the rod in until you feel it just touch the ball/inner rod, then back it off 1/2 turn, brake clean the threads and apply blue loc-tite to the threads so the nut doesn't come loose again. hold the rod from turning while tightening the jamb nut.
do all this while holding/keeping the actuator pointer on the case notch, like this.......

8156-clutch-adjustment.jpg

Reactions: warmeck
They are hardened steel, and I have tried to weld up the end of one. It doesnt work. In the event as described by Awk, you will need to replace the rods. Possibly the ball too.

there are 2 rods with a ball bearing between them, as the clutch side spins and the actuator side doesn't, the ball keeps those 2 seperated.
but when holding the clutch in for extended periods at high speeds, the clutch side rod will spin faster than the ball can, and actually weld itself to the ball, which shortens the throw of the entire rods/ball length, and will not push the pressure plate out foar enuf to disengage the clutch, and cause floppy lever...just as you describe.

the nut coming loose will also do this, as it allows the rod to unthread out of adjustment.

if it is only loose nut related, disconnect the clutch cable at the lever or the actuator, turn the rod in until you feel it just touch the ball/inner rod, then back it off 1/2 turn, brake clean the threads and apply blue loc-tite to the threads so the nut doesn't come loose again. hold the rod from turning while tightening the jamb nut.
do all this while holding/keeping the actuator pointer on the case notch, like this.......

8156-clutch-adjustment.jpg

+1 on this had same problem and it was adjustment

I had to replace my clutch, rod and ball. I guess I only need the rod and ball.... Wish I had known that before lol, I could've saved quite a bit of money...

Here's some of my handy work,
Pulled and held the clutch in @
60 MPH. Trying to find nuetral from 6th gear......do not try this at home. lol

uploadfromtaptalk1369069668385.jpg

Last edited:
ok here,s up date
tore it down to find the clutch assembly was loose so I took it apart the nut that holds the outer clutch part on was locked(with tab washer) but loose
so I finsh taking apart and found that the spring washer was in wrong place! put it back in as the manual showed torqued down to proper specs
readjusted the clutch and now it works fine
plan on rebuilding the whole assembly this winter when down season

Mine done same thing been gettn worse and worse with the cable like he did but started making grinding noise when pulled clutch in but when out and has no no more just side case off it's got bunch of fibers that's on the clutchs