clutch question

b_s_chance

Jan 1, 2010
dayton,ohio
just installed a heavy duty clutch(fibers,steals,stiffer springs) clutch push lever is adj. properly (with protrusion on cases) any way the matter at hand..when i first start it up and ride feels like the clutch is slipping..gets a little stronger as it gets warmer but I'm not satisfied....what is the relativity to the adjustment on the pressure plate? i am assuming that if i loosen the lock nut and adjust the push rod out will that add pressure to the clutch pressure plate and vise versa if i run the push rod in will it relieve some of the pressure on the pressure plate?

does the clutch arm arrow line up with the flat spot on the case

ccccc.jpg

u can adjust that by screwing the pressure plate screw in or out, but it should line up perfect for the right placement

the tip of the case lever (has a slight arrow) it is lined up with the case protrusion. it is within at least 2 or 3 mm from being perfectly lined up

Here's a step by step. has to be lined up before you try to adjust up on the handlebars.
1. loosen the outer center nut on the pressure plate almost all the way off
2. hold the clutch lever (the part that the cable hooks onto in the motor) and gently push it towards the front of your bike to relieve the spring tension
3. now with a small phillips turn the center shaft in which ever direction it takes to align the pointer marks up as you are applying a little pressure to lever shouldn't take many turns you will feel it move. [usually clockwise]
4. When it is aligned, let the lever go it will go off the arrow due to spring tension that's ok. Keep your screw driver on there and take your wrench 10mm and tighten the center nut down snug while holdiong the center rod tight so it doesn't move.
5. Now take a socket and tighten it down good but becareful you dont overtighten it and snap it just a good snug tight is perfect. 5 ft lbs is what the manual says.
6. Put the cover back on, make sure your spring for the kick gear is in the hole when you do this or you'll be replacing some more parts down the road (experience talking here!).
7. attach the cable back up and adjust that just until you feel the springs on the pressure plate start to hit, then back off 1/8 turn and try that, ya may need to play with the adjustment on the handle bar lever as it warms up.