Clutch problem

Blaster1002

Mar 11, 2017
Okay, so I have a 2001 blaster and I've put a new inner clutch basket on it. I've tried adjusting the clutch but when I push the clutch in it stiffens up and won't losen up the plates or anything. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
If I understand the problem, when you pull the clutch lever, it doesn't pull all the way in to the handle bars? If not please correct me.

Possible problems:
1. Clutch arm actuator lined up?
2. Cable pinched or in a bind?
3. Did you install the clutch/friction plates in correct order? (Friction, steel, friction, steel)
4. You made sure to install the rod AND ball bearing back in with grease?
5. You installed the plates in the CORRECT way? Look at the steel plates. On the outer diameter is it smooth all the way around? Or does it have a rounded edge/key/indicator on it?
5A. If it has a rounded edge and not smooth, you need to install every other one in a rotating fashion. Rotating them 60* clockwise. Otherwise it will send the basket out of balance and destroy the bronze bushing.

It seems as if the springs are too stiff. If I take the springs off it wants to work, but as soon as I put the springs back in it gets stiff and won't push out. (Stock springs)
Got the problem solved. I forgot to install the clip down by the head to keep the cable from moving when you pull it. Everything works as it should now

Reactions: Awk08