Clutch engagement question

zero_chance

Mar 26, 2010
Spencer, MA
Forgive the newbie question, this is my first quad. When I fire her up in neutral and then put it into first with the clutch depressed all the way, why am I lurching forward and stalling? Clutch issue? It would seem I should be able to go into first without stalling unless thats not the case with quads. If I give it a little gas shell take right off and shift through the gears fine. Not sure if Im looking too far into this or what. I work on cars for a living and own my own garage so maybe Im applying the wrong principles here... 8-|

Yeah the clutch is definitely not disengaging. Im attaching a pic of how it sits right now in relation to the engine. I checked the service manual and it doesnt appear to have any info on adjustments. How much fluid does the crankcase take? In real world terms. And the manual says 10w30. Ive heard some people say ten forty, ATF, etc...

Heres the pic, the last one was way too big.
dsc00111t.jpg

do you see the line on that by the clutch arm?i can see it from the pic.but it looks to be in about the right spot.try adjusting it from ur lever on the bars.yea people use all kinds of different oil in the case.i use maxima mtl 80wt.it take 650cc of fluid.if u got a ratio rite cup if makes it 10x easier

Yeah it definitely seems to be spot on with that line. I messed with the cable adjustment and it didnt have any effect. Im probably going to change the oil since I just got this and I have no idea how long its been in there, etc. I heard the plates can stick together if it sat a while. Hope this doesnt mean new clutch time. Any tips, ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated at this point. Feel like a fish out of water working on these things. If it was a car Id already be done with it...

Changed the oil, took it for a little ride and clutch started to work normally. But after you shut it off and try to use clutch, say just to move it around while in gear, it kind of hangs up a little. Guess Ill just run it as is and if I have to replace the clutch Ill tear it apart. Parts are cheap enough.

You need to check clutch mechanism. Give all the slack you can with cable. Have somone push clutch mechanism towards front as far as they can. From right side see if the pointer on clutch mechanism lines up with pointer on crankcase. If off pull right crankcase cover and adjust until they line up. On front of pressure plate there is a nut and a straight slot bolt. Loosen both and turn slotted bolt until you line up pointers, While someone holds clutch mechanism forward. Maximum adjustment with cable if pointers aligned.

You need to check clutch mechanism. Give all the slack you can with cable. Have somone push clutch mechanism towards front as far as they can. From right side see if the pointer on clutch mechanism lines up with pointer on crankcase. If off pull right crankcase cover and adjust until they line up. On front of pressure plate there is a nut and a straight slot bolt. Loosen both and turn slotted bolt until you line up pointers, While someone holds clutch mechanism forward. Maximum adjustment with cable if pointers aligned.

yea i asked him that already and he said it lines up

Right, but as in his picture no one is holding the clutch mechanism forward without doing that it is impossible to see if it aligns up. If it is correct either the clutch cable or the friction disk are excessively worn.

Kind of off topic but does anyone know why I can only post here on this one post. I tried to reply to someones post and I also tried to start a new post and it keeps saying I dont have permission or my account is awaiting approval... ?

You could try taking the clutch plates out, soaking the fiber plates in 10W30 motor oil overnight and reinstalling them. That might keep them from sticking next time. I use 10W30 oil in mine. About 3/4 of a quart. You should have a sight glass in the bottom of your clutch cover. Add oil until it is between the two marks. Good luck with it.

grooves on the clutch basket fingers will do this sympton too!!!

and heres my clutch adjustment write up.....................
here we go again, lucky im just copy and pastin this............... it took me 4 or 5 times to get this right, very frustrating, do all this with the cable disconnected at the hand lever so it doesnt effect the internal adjustment, open her up, loosen the locknut and screw, back it out a little, (the adjustment shaft in the middle of the clutch basket) then where the cable connects to the motor lever,theres a notch that lines up, look on the engine lever for the little point and a mark on the case, line these up, make sure it doesnt move while adjusting, a freind would be good here, then move to the other side, tighten the rod in with a small straight screwdriver till you feel it touch, then i think i read somewhere to back it off 1/2 a turn,then tighten the locknut, <<<<definately use locktite here, mine almost came loose, and thats disaster, then reconnect the cable to the hand lever, and adjust your slack, i also did this with the wheels off the ground, so i could spin them with the clutch lever pulled in,to see if the wheels spun free, or if there was engine lag as i released it, before i put it all back together