Carb to Throttle Questions

Weird......... i made a post yesterday, but it gone! Hmmmmmmm.
Anyhow we all know 28mm mikuni carbs were not stock on a blaster, maybe on something else! Call carbpartswarehouse.com that guy is a seller of sudco parts. Weird that that cap doesnt fit that 28 sell that cap to one of the members who still have stock tors carb.

Weird......... i made a post yesterday, but it gone! Hmmmmmmm.
Anyhow we all know 28mm mikuni carbs were not stock on a blaster, maybe on something else! Call carbpartswarehouse.com that guy is a seller of sudco parts. Weird that that cap doesnt fit that 28 sell that cap to one of the members who still have stock tors carb.

That's what I was thinking, maybe sell it to someone else, help a brotha out. Anyhow, Motion Pro guy said it might have come of a Kawasaki. Funny you should mention carbpartswarehouse, I just found them today on my lunch and sent an e-mail. Looks like they are the only one's close buy that supply Sudco. Anyhow, I had high hopes when I opened the bag and saw the cap, coulda crapped when I saw it was too big. The Motion Pro guy told me, not sure if this is true or not, that the stock carbs on Blasters, the threads on the carb body aren't continuous, there are like vertical cuts in them??? He also said they do have a larger carb body/mixing chamber. When he asked if my threads were continuous or if they were divided or cut, that's when he figured it was a Sudco part. I don't know, I'll find out for sure later and let y'all know.

Welp, looks like this is a complete FUBAR carb. I contacted Carbparts.com, who supplies Sudco parts, and below is the following conversation and note, I have change my name for anonymity..for now. Also, I can't insert the pics that I sent, shhh, I'm on the work computer ;) and they have blocked photobucket. :( But they were of the idle screw side, the choke side and pics of the two caps next to each other.

Sent 4/20/2012 8:14:11 AM
To: "'1ezrider76@gmail.com'" <1ezrider76@gmail.com>
Subject: Mikuni VM28
this is not an aftermarket vm 28 carb. i have never seen a carb like this before. the best i can do is sell you a brand new carb kit including flat slide carb, throttle cable and jet kit for $139.00. call us @ 216-635-1099. i can also tell you Sudco will not have this either. we sell the same parts. thanks, jeff

-----Original Message-----
Sent 4/20/2012 8:14:11 AM
To: "'sales@carbparts.com'" <sales@carbparts.com>
Subject: Mikuni VM28

I recently called you regarding a cap for my Mikuni carburetor, which is on my 2000 Yamaha Blaster. Attached should be two pictures of the carb, idle screw side and Choke side. I am 99.9% confident it is a VM28, as I measured the Engine side of the carb, and the ID was 28.5 +/- .1. Also, maybe I forgot to mention, I am looking for the cap that is for TORS removed and have been told that Sudco is the only company that makes one to fit the carb. Also attached will be pictures of the cap that currently goes on this carb alone with the cap that I received from Motion Pro. The cap on the right is the one that goes with the carb.

Once you have checked out the pictures and can determine what I have is indeed a Mikuni VM28 or not, please give me a call at ###-###-####. I greatly appreciate your time and assistance.

Regards,

EZRider76

Starting to think I'm approaching this from the wrong perspective, maybe I should be focusing on the cable and how the cable attaches to the cap...or better known as the mixing chamber top...apparently distributors play ignorant when you call it a cap. Go figure!

So, while I sat, all broken hearted, a solution presented itself. Fast forward 10 minutes to avoid the gruesome details. I went to the barn, started looking at some parts and damn, I love it when a plan comes together. Now all I need is some duct tape, half a paper clip, a bubble gum rapper and a match...oh, and don't forget the dramatic music accompanied by flashes of either a flame burning down a line of black powder toward a powder keg, or a damsel in distress. To be continue....

SWEET, my plan worked...well enough anyhow. I ended up taking one of the cable adjusters off that mess of a cable that was on there before. It was darn near the right size, so all I needed to do was thread the cap. I know that was mentioned before (some green coming that way) but the parts I was using at the time wouldn't have worked. Anyhow, I ground the part down a little for length, and it unded up working. Now though, when I start it up, it runs for a bit and revs, then stalls. First thought came to mind was an air leak. After a little bit of looking around, sure enough, the intake boot flange is dry rotted and cracked through. Now, my question is simple, are all the intake boot flanges for blasters relatively standard? Or do I need to make sure I get the right size for my VM28?

0422121448a.jpg
The right one is the stock mikuni the left is the 28vm mikuni.
0422121448.jpg
As you can see they have different cap sizes.
0422121501.jpg
Last is the cable I got to work for the blaster with aftermarket carb.
Sorry I hadn't much time to respond will try to upload pics. That's the problem I had with my carb, But I had the cap to it and needed the new cable to use it.

View attachment 5748
The right one is the stock mikuni the left is the 28vm mikuni.
View attachment 5749
As you can see they have different cap sizes.
View attachment 5750
Last is the cable I got to work for the blaster with aftermarket carb.
Sorry I hadn't much time to respond will try to upload pics. That's the problem I had with my carb, But I had the cap to it and needed the new cable to use it.

Interesting, your carb looks a little different than mine...the 28mm. The cap is most definitely different, my cap looks more like the stock cap. I have fixed my issue with that for now, I threaded it and got a cable adjuster off the old cable to fit it. I'm thinking now though, that I might try something a little different. I might find a bolt that has matching threads, core drill it and tap it to the size of the threads on the cable adjuster Motion Pro sent me. I don't really like the way the cable sits on what I have right now. These 28mm carbs are mysterious. B)

The carb i have was nice for main changes the bolt out the corner of the bowl is were the main sits. 10 secs i could change the main with out moving the carb :)

The carb i have was nice for main changes the bolt out the corner of the bowl is were the main sits. 10 secs i could change the main with out moving the carb :)

Hmm, that doesn't seem fair. LOL I tore my carb apart last night for the first time. If I remember right, my main jet is located right above the float chamber plug, so I might be as interchangeable as you. I just really need to get to know these carburetor thingys. 8-| All I need to do is....everything!!! :(