Carb Question?

PikledBeats

Apr 19, 2010
Idaho
So I have been having an argument about carbs with a buddy of mine regarding sizes etc. and have a few questions.

First: Is stock banshee carb 28mm, I thought this but yamaha says it is a 26mm mikuni. If 26 is it same carb as blaster x2. If not is it roundslide or flatslide. If someone with banshee could just tell me the exact carb that comes stock (type) it would be much appreciated.

Second: If upgrading to 28mm for blaster, and if a mikuni is chosen, is flatslide or roundslide the better choice.

I had a huge argument about 26mm vs 28mm carb on blaster, and found I was wrong about a few details, but am now trying to help research this subject for my buddy and possibly a new blaster I am building for my wife.

The idea has to do with upgrading to 28mm from stock 26mm on non-ported motor with intake and exhaust. CFM/UNI and FMF, VF3's. I have come to the conclusion that 28mm would be beneficial to response but I am adament about using Mikuni Carbs. My buddy was going to buy a Keihen and I told him to wait and I would find out what the best mikuni would be for this set-up in a 28mm carb. Mikuni makes a VM24 which is a 28mm roundslide or a VM28 which is also known as a TM Flatslide, I am referencing part numbers.

Anyway, Some feedback on what is the better choice roundslide or flatslide would be helpful here including diffrences. If someone takes the time to explain all this to me they'll earn some greenzI:I

And plz no posts saying buy a keihen. Mikuni info only plz

stock banshee has 2 blaster carbs on it. my friend bought 2 banshee carbs for cheap and the only difference is a larger fuel inlet and some crossovers

i know most of us use the keihins, but ken oconnor swears by, and claims easier tuning with the mikuni TM's

ok, I guess I'm going to answer myself after some research but got more though I'm sure no one will know but I might as well pose the question.

Ok, so blaster uses a stock Mikuni VM26SS Carb, banshee does as well.

Mikuni makes A VM28 but it is actually the same as all TM carbs in the fact that it is a flatslide not a roundslide. There actually is not a TM28

Description: Brand new genuine Mikuni carburetor. This is a VM series which are typically round slide carbs, but this is a flatslide. Reasoning for Mikuni giving this a VM part number is uknown.

Carb No. VM28-418 Size - 28MM

1st. Does anybody use this carb?
2nd. It measures 33mm O.D. on engine side does that mean 33mm manifold? Answer: Just Measured stock manifold fits 33mm O.D.

Last edited:
VM carbs are round slide like a stocker but still considered a performance carb. TM and TMX carbs are performance flatslide designs fro better throttle response..

I know man, except this one VM

Mikuni VM28-418 Flat Slide Carburetor 28mm HP Carb | eBay

If you scroll down it will give a mikuni chart with all their flatslide carbs this is where I got the quote above. It's cool though, This whole thing started out of an argument with a friend and then after all the research I just decided to buy one as we have a few blasters. I talked to a mikuni rep directly today after about an hr calling people and yes there is a VM28 same part number listed above that is a 28mm flatslide carb. It is high performance and is identical to the tm, it has a 33m O.D. which is same size as blaster stock manifold. As soon as it gets here I'll post pics ...... I just was curious as I swear by mikuni. I think I'm alone in the 28mm department aginst the keihen brotherhood ..... lol. I also have a 34mm mikuni tm flatslide I was going to run on my build but have been rethinking my motor over and over oh well though..................I will add pics of them side by side as soon as it gets here plus review.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh, I see what you mean. That's odd. Looks like a good carb tho. I don't really know of any anti-mikuni guys around here. Keihin just seens to be what we fell into.

I'm not against keihin and was just joking but just know mikuni's. Anyway I'll update with pics once it gets here and thx for the help

Just throwing this out there, PWK28 is OEM on some of the small dirtbikes like a RM85. Theyre like 90 bucks brand new from a dealer. That right there is a pretty damn good deal for a Keihin PWK28. I like Keihins better, but I learned 2 strokes on them, I already know how to tear one apart, and the jets are different and I have a bunch of Keihin jets so Im a Keihin guy.

Reactions: Pj Uptmor
Any idea on what type of quads throttle cable I need to run a TM and screw into blaster throttle. Really need help with this one.

Last edited:
i ordered a 28mm flat slide for my blaster i'm running stock pipe she is bored .050 over and running a boost bottle and throttle response is amazing ! more power all around tis a good upgrade