Car Stereo Wiring Harness

xKroniK13x

THEN WE ALL BLOW UP!
Sep 4, 2009
Hey guys, I'm in the process of wiring my first car stereo installation. I have all the speakers (+ and -) hooked up, power, ignition power, and a ground. All the wires essentially. But I have 2 small problems.

1) The AMP ON / AMP POWER cable has 2 cables from my vehicle, and only one on the new stereo. Should I just wire them in together into the same wire? That's easy enough, but just not sure if that's what I need to do.

2) Similar issue. There is one MUTE wire coming out of the stereo, but the wiring harness has 4 MUTE wires (maybe one per speaker?). Do I just put them all together into the one mute wire?

Thanks guys, hopefully someone can help me out! I:I

On a stereo, all you really need is constant power, switched power, antennae, speakers and ground. Then blue is for your amp and rcas to your amp. Then your amp needs constant power, and the sub outs.

post every thing you have put in there should be on the amp a remote blue wire from back of radio or what i like to do wire it to the radio fuse. then your ground to the frame. then the power wire with a fuse close to the battery then you should have a set of rca going from plug ins on back of radio to the amp.

It's a 2008 ford escape xlt, stock sound equipment (no sub). Installing a Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD.

I'm told on another forum that if I don't have a sub, then I don't need to hook the amp wires up because I won't have a sub. The wiring harness I have fits all models of an escape, so that makes sense.

Still confused with the mute cables!

Thanks guys.

Actually, upon closer inspection, I found that both the blue/white cables are labeled "AMP TURN ON (12V+). So do I just connect these to the 12V power cable (Red)? These are the only wires confusing me! Lol.

For the mute, I think I'm just not going to connect them. I never mute my radio, I just turn it off if I get a call or whatever. So that's not a big deal. Just these dang amps.

the blue or blue/white wires are usually used to remotely turn on any amps used,
they put out +v to remotely turn on the amps and do not get connected to 12v+ power,
if no amps are used, just tape them off seperately

the blue or blue/white wires are usually used to remotely turn on any amps used,
they put out +v to remotely turn on the amps and do not get connected to 12v+ power,
if no amps are used, just tape them off seperately

Agreed! Unless you want to annoy the neigborhood- Just a few extra wires!
vxzo2b.jpg

the blue and blue/white wires are just to turn on amplifiers or to signal to raise power anttenas. don't hook them to anything. but never heard of a mute wire

Alright guys, makes sense. I cut those wires just below the precut strip and taped them off, just incase in the future I need them.

Now I'm making an ebrake bypass so that I don't need the ebrake on to watch a video. It's not hard, but definitely harder than normal ones that you just ground out the sensor! I'll post a picture when it's all done.

Yes for the E-brake Switch , You just need a Toggle Switch and Some wire to Ground the Wire Out , You might have to Turn the Switch on for about 5 Seconds and then off for 5 and Back on and It Should work !

I found a pretty simply walkthrough to make a bypass. It requires a couple resistors and a transistor, but nothing too complex. The way that this checks is that it needs to see that power comes on, and then the ebrake comes on, so the resistors trick it essentially. All parts were only like $4 at radioshack, so I can't complain. It's better than having to splice into any stock wiring, and having to have the ebrake on for movies!

This is the thing I'm making.
bypass.gif

Found here: http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/14398-avh-p6000dvd-bypass-not-working/

How are u gonna drive and watch a movie young man? and text, and talk...?

I don't really plan on watching movies while driving. The one application I thought would be cool is that I have 3 or 4 concert DVD's, I can pop them in and have them on, or I can let passengers watch on longer trips. I try not to multitask too much, I drive too fast as it is :-[

It's all good, Us older fellers are just jealous as we can't mutitask while driving as good as the younger guys do! Speed doesn't kill, Idiots kill!

Speed doesn't kill, Idiots kill!

Great concept. My dad says speed kills all the time, I like this version better. I've gone the speed limit multiple times and have had a-holes almost hit me or merge into me, I feel safer going faster because the idiots stay behind me. I:I