Buying another Toyota MR2 Turbo

Luni

Sep 9, 2009
Layton, UT
www.celicatech.com
Ive talked about it a bit on here, but Im huge into Toyota MR2 Turbos. I had a 1991 I sold about 4 months ago, and my buddy is selling his sweet one and since I dont have one anymore and I really like his, Im buying it from him..

Heres some pics of it. Its a red 91 (just like mine was)Its got quite a bit of work done to it. Its got a turbo upgrade, every part of the exhaust upgraded, bigger intake, intercooler kit, bigger sway bars, strut tower braces, bigger brakes, upgraded japanese model leather and suede interior, electronic boost controller, super rare BBS LM wheels, and some other stuff. Its a sweet car.

Im stoked. Picking it up tonight.

waxed.jpg

4396890405_1574c2cde5_o.jpg

4396892899_e45de848f8_o.jpg

Thx man.

I have too. Have had a love affair with em for the past 10 years. Ive done ALOT of work to them. I know them like the back of my hand.

Im like the local Ken OConnor of Utah with MR2s. I know ALOT about them.

Any questions about that sort of stuff guys, feel free to ask me.

Its a "true" import. It was made in japan for the USDM market and "imported" over here.

To be honest, in the import scene, I think the RHD conversion is played out.

To be honest, Id like to get a 99 JDM car, and import it, and do a LHD swap on it.

that one sweet looking ride.I used to have fun beating them in my BMW I had. I do have to say the MR2 is way better looking. May not be as fas but will get more ass. Lol

nice man, i llike the uniqueness of rhd, they are so rare, well around here, i like being unique, way more fun

You canadians are assholes.

You can import them. Getting to the point where you guys are being able to get some sick MR2s.

The later model ones are actually cheaper than the ones that were brought in. You can get like a 96/97 one for less than 10k.

I had a 87 with the factory supercharger. Never did like that wedge or the fiat x-1/9 thank god after the body change it was not so much a wedge anymore. Nice score.

MK1 supercharged cars are fun too though. Not the best looking but still cool cars.

Got a buddy with an 88 that is doing an AE92 corolla 4AGZE swap (map based DLI system instead of the crappy AFM they used). Its gonna be sweet. Hes putting a bigger crank pulley on and a smaller SC pulley so it will up the boost. It will be a fun car.

i like the whole upgrade stuff, little more detail on what the upgrade parts are?
just a very vague description.
also those rims are not super rare, it seems like every one has them.

Theyre pretty rare dude.

They cost about 1k a piece brand new. Theres only 2 people in Utah ive ever seen that have them.

There are other wheels that look like them, but BBS LMs are pretty damn rare.

Turbo upgrade is called a CT20b. Its a pretty good step up from the stock turbo. Its the stock turbo found in the japanese/euro spec MR2s made after 1994. The intake is a larger element air filter which eliminates the stock air box, opening up the intake stream, making it sound much meaner and helping the turbo spool faster. Its an Apexi. I have an aftermarket limited slip differential which makes a world of difference Its a Kaaz. My sway bars are upgraded hollow units that are stiffer and lighter than stock so they allow for less body roll and are made by TRD. My strut tower bars stiffen up the chassis so it doesnt flex so much, because its a T-Top car it isnt as rigid as it could be again made by TRD. The brakes are from a 93-95 model (larger calipers, thicker rotors, larger pad surface), and it has upgraded stainless steel lines and fluid, porterfield R4S pads. The exhaust system consists of a "downpipe" and a "catback" section. Both have been upgraded to 3 inch piping, which on a turbo really makes the turbo spool faster and flow better resulting in much better power. I have an electronic boost controller Its a Greddy Profec-B, so I can switch boost modes (low is 12 psi, high is 16 psi) on the fly, and I can adjust them on the fly as well. I also have coilovers, which replace the entire strut body, they are also made by TRD.

The JDM leather/suede interior is just that. A leather and suede interior thats really hard to find and rare, and only found in 97-99 MR2s in Japan/Europe.

My car also has aftermarket cams. Higher lift and duration. That helps the engine flow better, so the volumetric efficiency is higher.

Its probably sitting 100hp over stock right now, with some room to grow if I mess with my fuel system.
Theres more done to it like some HID headlights, and some LEDs in the gauge cluster that make the cluster brighter and nicer looking, but overall, those are the ma