Buying a used blaster

Seadoorider

Jan 4, 2016
Looking at buying a blaster. Im 5'5 160. Have few bikes and a fourtrax 300 4x4.
Looking for something smaller and sporty, 2stroke is a plus.
1. 2001 owned about 3yrs, top end around 2yr ago. Look clean and we'll maintained from the pics? Tires loom decent and recently did brakes.
Has blue label wheels, doesn't sound like plus though. Has aftermarket shock Asking 1600

2. 1999 not sure on top end, waiting to hear back. looks clean and maintained from pics again. Could use rear tires. Everything else works.. asking 1200

What do you guys think, what would be the most i should pay? Nada has them both around $700?
Thanks

Found another, 2000 blaster. Lady owned for roughly 10yr, kids used it. Never mentioned anything about top end rebuild..? Definitely not in good of shape as other 2, bent bumper.
Says it runs good, won't idle without throttling a bit.. asking $900

Attachments

• IMG_5128.jpg
    IMG_5128.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 171
I wouldn't rush just to buy one...there are good deals out there . Most people want a ton of money for junk . So hopefully you know what you're looking at when checking them out...or bring somebody that knows something about 2 strokes...dirt bikes and 4 wheelers . You can find good blasters with a pipe and front hydro brakes for around $1000 sometimes under . And then spend untold amounts on mods :)

Bumper damage always make me hesitant. These blaster frames like to bend on the lower frame right behind the a arm. Good place to check before buying.

I wouldn't rush just to buy one...there are good deals out there . Most people want a ton of money for junk . So hopefully you know what you're looking at when checking them out...or bring somebody that knows something about 2 strokes...dirt bikes and 4 wheelers . You can find good blasters with a pipe and front hydro brakes for around $1000 sometimes under . And then spend untold amounts on mods :)
Was planning on a compression test and general look over and a quick spin.
I know what your saying, when I bought my 1st Street/sport bike years ago, ended up being nothing but problems. Haven't had any real problems since.
It's amazing how many people don't have a title or Reg. Card for their quad!
Gonna pass on the '99 and 2000 blasters, after getting more info.
Curious what would be the most you would pay for the 2001. What he sent from the top end he had done?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1290.jpg
    IMG_1290.jpg
    729.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 183
$1600 is Really expensive for a stock Blaster . You should be able to find a heavily modded blaster for that type of money . I would be patient and wait for a good one.

The first thing you do before you ride a used Blaster or any used 2 stroke is leak test it before you ride it.

The PO may have jetted it to mask an air leak.

Found this, guy wants $500 says its a 02. Looks kinda rough, doesn't know if top end has been.
Says it runs and shifts fine and brakes work. Would comp test and ride b4 buying.
Looks like fresh oil from cylinder head gasket? Whata think..?

Attachments

• IMAG0250.jpg
    IMAG0250.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAG0252.jpg
    IMAG0252.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 149
  • IMAG0257.jpg
    IMAG0257.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 153
Doesn't look too bad. Looks like it has a pipe on it and tires look pretty good. Check the compression and leak test it if you can . I'm sure it will need some work...but for $500 what do you expect. I would buy it if it runs and shifts through the gears

i think thats a pretty good deal especially since it has front hydro brakes
agreed there. could be cable rear brakes though, cant see them. if it has cable rear brakes and they hardly work you could maybe get it for 400-450

that would be a decent one, even if you have to rebuild it

To me it looks like it has a Trenga rear brake mount, may have been converted on the rear. And that swing arm looks aftermarket, maybe a swingarm shop one. The mounts where the rear shock bolts to it are different from a stock one.

Well I looked at and passed on it, turned out to be a complete basket case.
It ran and drove was about it. Rear was hydraulic and a complete hack job, not working. Bunch of other things wrong though. Main thing frame was bent in front. Wouldn't budge from 500 either , not that it mattered anyway.