Building a blaster for the 450 mx class. I must be crazy!!

Motorwise I'll be piecing it together versus getting a kit. Will be the vitos 240 cylinder, forged piston, watercooled head, 40mm carb, fabbed airbox, Bottom end will be left alone for the most part for now. An old family friend will be doing a pipe for me. He's an old road racer that specialized in 2-stroke tuning. I know I could go with a much more wild motor than that but I wanna keep her fairly reliable. The watercooled head aspect, Im still a little unsure on. I run a watercooled head on my vespa racer, and it makes a big difference but the vespa motor doesnt get the airflow the blaster does, so it may not make as much of a difference. I've also thrown around the idea, of just leaving it aircooled and just going with the LA Sleeve kit. Will cross that bridge when I get there. Chassis work will come first.

i have heard that the water cooled kit wont help much but that was for a trail bike. If it was me i would go for some more power also just a bb topend wont do a whole bunch id say f the head and get a ct ported big bore topend. LIke pauly said run aclohol it burns much cooler. Then that 40mm will really be put to use. Even then that motor will still be a HUGE underdog compared to a 450. I would think about some bottom end mods also. A +3 crank wont really take away any reliability there is lots of people that run them in there trail bikes and have 100's of hours.

Not impressed with the CT cylinder one bit. I would rather run a ported vito's cylinder(not their piston though) than the CT. The prefered cylinder for me would be the LA sleeve. Its far superior than all of them. I just contacted LA sleeve about just selling me the cylinder and piston. I cant justify spending $800 on that kit to only end up using 2 parts from it. We'll see what happens. I would however like to see before and after temps with and without a watercooled head from people that have tried it.

Not impressed with the CT cylinder one bit. I would rather run a ported vito's cylinder(not their piston though) than the CT. The prefered cylinder for me would be the LA sleeve. Its far superior than all of them. I just contacted LA sleeve about just selling me the cylinder and piston. I cant justify spending $800 on that kit to only end up using 2 parts from it. We'll see what happens. I would however like to see before and after temps with and without a watercooled head from people that have tried it.

?????lol The LA sleeve 240 cylinder is the same thing as the CT 240 cylinder!!!!! lol

?????lol The LA sleeve 240 cylinder is the same thing as the CT 240 cylinder!!!!! lol

Funny, since the CT is a nikisil sleeve, and the LA is cast iron. Yup, they're the same...

Ive never been a fan of nikisil coated cylinders, and wont ever be. Its bitten me in the ass too many times. Cast iron holds up to abuse and blown top ends a lot better than a nikisil plated aluminum cylinder will.

Funny, since the CT is a nikisil sleeve, and the LA is cast iron. Yup, they're the same...

Ive never been a fan of nikisil coated cylinders, and wont ever be. Its bitten me in the ass too many times. Cast iron holds up to abuse and blown top ends a lot better than a nikisil plated aluminum cylinder will.

Thats true but the nikisil on aluminum will get the heat out faster. I say do it the way you want water cooled head and all.
No one really know whats gonna happen on the track untill you do it B)
Just keep us in the loop on what happens.

the only one that is nikasil is the 200 cylinder..not the 240. as stated above the ct and la sleeve 240 cylinder are identical. 8-|

you got a good point paul! I:I

Sounds like a fun build. I went through it and its more then possible. I run the vito's with a +3 stroker crank and haven't had an issue with heat. My comps about 185-190 burning 110 octane. One area that'll help you is that the blaster weighs less then the 4pokes. I'm also running 13-38 gearing and can start off in 3rd gear. That way I only have to shift once before the first corner :)

the only one that is nikasil is the 200 cylinder..not the 240. as stated above the ct and la sleeve 240 cylinder are identical.

Im pretty sure their site says nikisil plated. I also recieved an email from them confiming it is nikisil(granted they could of read my question wrong). Im just basing my opinions of the info I have gotten from the manufacturers. Either way, Not a fan of nikisil!

Sounds like a fun build. I went through it and its more then possible. I run the vito's with a +3 stroker crank and haven't had an issue with heat. My comps about 185-190 burning 110 octane. One area that'll help you is that the blaster weighs less then the 4pokes. I'm also running 13-38 gearing and can start off in 3rd gear. That way I only have to shift once before the first corner :)

You're bike is definite inspiration for this build. I've been wating to do it for a while now, and seeing yours and hearing your thoughts really got the ball in motion.

Im pretty sure their site says nikisil plated. I also recieved an email from them confiming it is nikisil(granted they could of read my question wrong). Im just basing my opinions of the info I have gotten from the manufacturers. Either way, Not a fan of nikisil!

ok dude.. u see taters yellow name? that means he has earned tech status here because of his knowledge and experience. the ct bbk is NOT nikasiled, these guys know what they are talking about and as a matter of fact tater even runs that cylinder in his badass dragger.

BLASTER

just like tater said.. the 200 is nikd, the 240 is not. now that we got that cleared up lol good luck with this baby, cant wait to see how it turns out

ONLY the 200cc has the aluminum sleeve and Nikasil plating!!!!! The Sonic cylinder kits are available in two basic packages: 200cc to meet AMA youth race rules and the unrivaled 240cc big bore package. The 200cc cylinder utilizes and aluminum sleeve and Nikasil plating to offer maximum cooling under race conditions. LOOK>>>>BLASTER

038-2.jpg

CT240

Pics speak louder than words!
CT needs to hire better help then. I emailed LA, Vitos, and CT to get info on their cylinders so I could decide which one I would go with. Like I said, I was basing my opinions off of what they told me. And typically, unless I see for myself(which I can see now), Im always going to believe the manufacturer over people on a forum. So now I gotta see who will sell me just thy cylinder at the cheapest price :D

Pics speak louder than words!
CT needs to hire better help then. I emailed LA, Vitos, and CT to get info on their cylinders so I could decide which one I would go with. Like I said, I was basing my opinions off of what they told me. And typically, unless I see for myself(which I can see now), Im always going to believe the manufacturer over people on a forum. So now I gotta see who will sell me just thy cylinder at the cheapest price :D

Get it at LA.... I had problems with CT!!!!! LOOk>>>>>> and dont forget to look at the pics...lol>>>>>>>http://www.blasterforum.com/off-topic-7/agitated-ct-racing-40495/

Thanks for the heads up Bronco. Good to know. Its unfortunate but some of the big name players from back in the day are becoming a pain to do business with.

Picked up some shocks for the project today. '05 450r fronts, and 400ex rear. These will be going to JET later for their Stealth Triple Rate rebuild.
I also am toying with the idea of incorporating a linkage into my swinger and frame since I'll be fabbing my own swinger anyway.
313445_285951941423494_100000260714002_1166701_858292595_n.jpg

Thanks for the heads up Bronco. Good to know. Its unfortunate but some of the big name players from back in the day are becoming a pain to do business with.

Picked up some shocks for the project today. '05 450r fronts, and 400ex rear. These will be going to JET later for their Stealth Triple Rate rebuild.
I also am toying with the idea of incorporating a linkage into my swinger and frame since I'll be fabbing my own swinger anyway.
313445_285951941423494_100000260714002_1166701_858292595_n.jpg

No problem bro, and nice shocks... You may also want to ask if you can get a virgin cylinder.... The cylinder i got from CT was a standard out of the box trail port, and look at the hole that developed in the port... that hole was not there when i put it together, but after 4 years later it was time for a piston and look what i found... So if i was to do it again i would get a virgin and send it to OConnor Racing to have fun with..lol

This hole is a possible problem with both the CT and LA 240 BB cylinder because of the bigger reed cage and ports, and is NOT a problem with vito's or the stock cylinder....

9999.jpg

666.jpg

132.jpg

122.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck there was a guy on here awhile back that completley redisigned his front end for aftermarket 250r rear shocks for enduro races back in the day. If you do some research you could prob find some info on what he did.