buddies blaster sitting for a year...

Feb 28, 2010
Kailua-Kona, HI
so I have no background on his bike. I never saw it til today, it was sitting in the yard uncovered for like a year. so the seat is sunburnt FOAM cover is like peeled skin probably covers 60% of the foam but like sh!t lol. thing is a piece. anyway, get it home and decide I didn't even want to unload it from my truck as I didn't even want that thing sitting here longer than tonight lol.

did some quick searching while at walmart on my blackbury n the champion powersport plug should be a BR8ES equivalent so I figure I'll change the plug (it has a screw on plug top wedged in the plug cap and the plug is just the threads part after pulling the top off, the top that's wedged is actually the type that screws OUT of the plug so the top can't go on the plug, it was wedged on all crooked hard to explain maybe I'll try to get pix lol) so I'll change the plug and play with it a little tomorrow but the petcock leaks so need to either be rebuilt (new seals/o rings) or replaced but I'm not wanting to put that kinda effort into it. checked to see if the air filter was good and it looks to be a brand new UNI stock replacement (looks to of never been oiled) he still has the stock airbox, lid and snorkel all on this bike so I'm wondering if it was even ever jetted for the FMF pipe it has on it lol. thing is the biggest turd... I just want to get it running ok and give it back to him tomorrow lmfao. I'll try to get some quick pix tomorrow before I give it back to him lol. looks about like it was pulled outta some brush.. still has the oil tank and injector. I think premix would be good it's probably running rich on the oil side of things. dunno if he ever changed oil in the crank area probably not... I'm gonna suggest it to him and see what he says.

how much oil do these things use? I have a left over liter of motorex 10w40 semi synthetic in the closet. not sure if he's even willing to pay me for parts tho so I need to ask him tomorrow... if not he can just have it back as it sits and starts 1st kick now lol. dunno if it'll even stop once it starts to go, I think the brakes need work too lol

the crank receives oil from the premix, you must be talking about the trans oil, and that's 650 cc(ml)

yeah, the clutch is in there too, but the crankshaft itself is isolated from the transmission oil

hm, ok, I think I'll suggest it to him but not sure if I even wanna do it lol. I mostly wanted to get it running for him so he can come ride with us. I may try to fix his cr80 too but I think that one will be more work as he pretty much screwed that one up by messing with it lol. I think he really just needs to fix it and sell it and get something cleaner but that's just me lol. he could strip it and do a ground up rebuild but for me, I seen a cleaner 04 on CL for $700 so I'd prefer a better platform myself... but it's his bike so his call. someone who's built blasters could do it EASIER but it still is alot of work I think it needs to go down to just frame, redo that and go from there...

thanks for the help man! I suppose a manual would be good. If I'm gonna wrench his bike longer term I wanna do some things to it like get a jet kit and at the very least ditch the lid for an outerwear one. what's the deal with the PWK carbs? do they delete the metal box thats above the stock carb? thing looks like a waste of space to me lol

ah, gave it back today, does anyone know what I should gap the plug to? it's a champion equivalent to the BR8ES NGK plug iirc... figure I'll give him the plug. I actually ended up just doing it for free and telling him to come riding with us lol. all it costed me was carb spray some new clear fuel line and gas money to take my 10mpg truck to his place to get it lol. wish I just took the carb apart at his place.

test rode it today. blasters are fun little bikes never rode one before today :) opened it up to 4th pinning it with tires that were WAY low on air lol. so it was a cushy ride at least :) I'm gonna email him some links for stuff to make it nice and told him if he gets a jet kit I'll help him soup it up...