Brake Cable Mod for extended swing-arms

Blasterman2000

Oct 24, 2010
NW Indiana
This is a tip/mod for those that have extended swing-arms like me (+9) that can't find a longer cable, or don't have the cash for a hydraulic set up.

Tools needed: stock cable, tape measure, barrel ends, cable cutters or Dremmel, patience.

Basically you take off the cable from the lever on the handlebars all the way to the caliper, your going to be using the cable that goes from the lever to the foot peddle, your gonna cut off both barrels, and go to the auto parts store and get a package of assorted barrels, they come in like 5 or six in a pack.

Take off the rear caliper, remove the cable completely since your going to be using the longer cable. Put the caliper back on, and measure from where the cable goes in to where it attaches to the foot peddle, add an inch or so, to give yourself some leeway for cutting. Now take the cable that you just cut the barrels off of, and cut the outer sleeve back enough so that you can slip the adjuster for the caliper on and have enough to go inside the caliper to the lever with the new cable barrel, do the same for the other end.
May take a few times to get the length just right. On the peddle end, you may have to pinch the holes closer together but only slightly.

After you have the cable cut, and the ends on, adjust your slack, and there you have it. New longer cable for less than $5 or $10 depending on the cost of the new barrels. I:I

If this has been covered before, I apologize, I did a search, and didn't see anything covering this mod, and the Admin can delete it. If it hasn't been covered, feel free to make it sticky and I will provide pics of my final setup

IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg

Last edited:
Good tip, man. BTW, what do you need a +9 for?

What do you need any mod for? Stock Blasters are fine out of the factory right?8-|

To answer your question, #1 Cuz I could #2 cuz it looks cool #3 cuz it was cheap #4 why not?! #5 see #1

It's not everyone's forte, cup o tea, whatever, was just posting this to help others that have an extended swing-arm, and looking for a cheap alternative to maintain their stock brake setup.:D

*UPDATE*

Rode the quad tonight, rear brake functions as it should

2000 Blaster
Bored .40
Vitos HD clutch
Boysen 2 stage power reeds
FMF Gold Series and Power Core2
Douglas rear rims with Dick Cepek Spider Tracs
Flipped fronts
TOS eliminated
Parking brake ELIMINATED
Cobra nerfs