Boyesen pro series advice??

giantvt104

Jan 6, 2012
deer park, ny
So i just got some boyesen pro series dual stage carbon reeds and when i was installing them i found this in the directions:

install new reeds using provided rev plate.
note: if rev plates are not provided, install reeds using stock reed stop

basically the boyesen rev plate is a piece of metal maybe 5mm tall and like 40mm wide. so it doesnt seem to me like it would limit flex of the reeds like the stock plate which completely covers them. so is it that they are a stiffer reed design and dont need the stock size large stops? should i use the the boyesen rev plate or the yamaha stop plate? what are some benefits and loses to using either. :-/

IMO and experience
do not run the rev plate,
do run the stock reed stop
unless you carry extra reeds with you on the trail or walking shoes for the walk home

i've seen too many aftermarket reeds break without the stops, and just made a set out of a home depot return card to get my buddy home last fall

i also tried a set of AKTIVE reeds without the stops and it would shut down at full throttle
it's known as "high speed flutter" as they open too far to get back closed in time

i'm sure some others will have a different veiw/experience....
just remember your walking shoes !!!!

Reactions: giantvt104
Thanks awk. yeah you def explained this to me a couple days ago. i didnt know the new ones came with the rev plates. so i got a little confused but yeah that sounds logical to me. the included rev plates are tiny!! now the stock reed stop wont restrict opening at all?

I was finally able to give you some rep points again so i left ya some green.
thanks for always given me advice awk.

I just got off the phone with one of the techs at boyesen and he said to use the the rev plates that where included. he said that the the dual stage design in itself increases reed stiffness and there is no need to use the stock reed stops. using the boyesen rev plates wont cause issues and wont cause them to wear out prematurely. he said all using the oem ones will do is hurt the top end.

i really do see that happening. i agree with awk and you. i just want to do whats best for reliablility and performance. what do you think of using the rev plates under the factory stops? that would allow more room to open and still have a limit. when i tried to put them together like that just to see how it fit. i looked perfect and i was able to get more than enough bite on the screws some they dont become pinballs in my motor.

Factory stops only, intervention breeds intervention.

Dont forget to put Loctite on the screws.

this is true. yeah ill just use the stockers. lol the wheel is perfect but yet i feel the need to change it???? i think im gonna soon go with the V forces. it alot less to worry about. just pop in make sure they are sealed check jetting and go. thanks.

i installed a set of the power series reeds and i read the same thing you did. use the rev plate... when i installed them i added the factory stops instead. after a week of use i opened it up a few times and it does have alot of improvement over stock single petal reeds. yesterday, after re-sealing the manifold (found a leak) i decided to remove the factory stops and try just the rev plate. i must say, it Does make a slight difference. it seems to pull harder and rev quicker without the reed stops. the jurys still out if im gonna leave it that way or put the stops back on (for piece of mind) anyone else running these reeds Without the stops notice the difference??

not same quad, but the same type of reeds.

i used boyesen dual-stage reeds on my zilla with the boyesen plate, not the oem stoppers and never had an issue with breaking reeds. when i tore the engine down later in the year the reeds still looked great.

but like with anything YMMV

not same quad, but the same type of reeds.

i used boyesen dual-stage reeds on my zilla with the boyesen plate, not the oem stoppers and never had an issue with breaking reeds. when i tore the engine down later in the year the reeds still looked great.

but like with anything YMMV
ive heard that from other guys too. some say theve been great, some say they break. good to know Carnz!!!B)
i wonder if the guys that have had problems are running a stock or stock type air box or pod filters???

Ive read in few different places of people using the rev plate under the factory stops. they say it gives the limit but at the same time increases the amount they can open. i am still pondering this idea. i mean the only thing i would really be afraid of is the screws not being able to be secured enough and playin pinball in my motor. Im still unsure of this one....:-/

That's how I had mine installed when I used the reed stops. Rev plate then reed stops on top. I also got nervous about the screws being too short to tighten fully. Red loctite held up well. They were still tight when I took them out. I still feel a difference without the stops. I'm gonna keep it with just the rev plates for a bit and see what happens. Got a spare set of reeds n stops in my bag, just in case.

Not really :D Instructions didn't say anything about stops, and had read something about it before I did shee so put stop in instead of plates. Even tho Blaster is comepletely apart I'm not going to change them because totally satisfied the way it is. Plus I'm Polish :D

Not really :D Instructions didn't say anything about stops, and had read something about it before I did shee so put stop in instead of plates. Even tho Blaster is comepletely apart I'm not going to change them because totally satisfied the way it is. Plus I'm Polish :D

Hey just as long as it works good with no issues right....