Idle help

Nick Migues

Jan 15, 2021
Alright so this is ironic but I need some help with my idle. Some of you may have seen my other thread, where I couldn’t get my Blaster to idle, which ended up being a bad stator because a bolt had broken off so it was rubbing the fly wheel. Anyways, now it idles, but idles too good. Before hand, when I had first got it running/idling for the first time, I took it around the block and it was a bit lazy, so today I decided to move the needle back to the middle position. Now, when I fire it up the RPMs shoot up so high it sounds like it’s about to kick the rod out- even knocks a little, and when you burp the gas it doesn’t want to come down. Of course I didn’t run it long like this. I made lots of little adjustments but nothing seemed to help until I finally decided to tighten the cap on the carb up some more and reseated the carb in the boots to make sure it wasn’t an air leak. Sure enough it stopped jumping up super high, but in my attempt to get it to quit idling so high the idle was to low and wouldn’t stay running, so I tried setting it all back stock- I also popped the carb cap loose again to rotate the tors brick so I could get to that adjustment screw, and tightened it back up even tighter then the first time, but now it wants to jump way back up in rpm and knock again, and I’m not sure why. I also checked my reed cage bolts to make sure they were tight, and while I didn’t check that gasket for the reeds I did just install it the other day so I don’t think that’s an issue. Also for reference I did a compression test the other day (just using a regular automotive compression tester btw) and it had about 130 PSI- after about 24 hours it had lost about 7 or so PSI but that doesn’t seem terrible to me but I could be wrong on that. So yeah I just need some tips on what I could be doing wrong.
As far as settings go, it is currently stock jet wise, and I have the air screw out about 2 turns right now. Needle is in middle position. Premixed 32:1 fuel. The screw on the tors brick is almost as far out as it can go without taking it out. As far as I know the engine is stock, air box lid on, though it does have a FMF silencer- stock pipe. Thanks for any tips/help!

I cannot figure this dang bike out. The only place the bike will idle is with the needle clip in between the middle and the lowest spots, if I go down or up it will not idle. With the clip between middle and lowest, it idles, and I got it idling decent, but you try to ride it and it’s just absolutely gutless, bogs down and I tried to ride up a small hill by our house and it barely makes it up without stalling, and it does this through the entire range of the throttle, and after you ride it it starts idling real low again. I think I also need to adjust the clutch because even with the lever fully pulled back it still kind of wants to roll in gear and won’t let me kick it into neutral without shutting the bike off but that’s an issue for another day. Just need to get this thing running right but I am still new to this and the guides don’t seem to help any in figuring this out. I did fix the air leak- the boot on the reeds had flattened gaskets, so that issue is fixed.

Last edited:
Is your needle bent?
Possibly holding the slide up when installed?
Needle does not control the idle circuit. That would be your pilot jet and air screw adjustment.

I checked the gasket in the carb cap, looks good. My air leak is solved. And I know that the needle doesn’t control idle but I find it odd that when I move the needle either direction from the spot between middle and lowest spot it quits idling. Maybe I need a different pilot jet but I’m not sure whether I need bigger or smaller. Its frustrating I know that lol

What pilot jet is in it now? 32.5 if its the stock carb. Whats the numbers on the needle? Should be 5j22.
You sure pilot circuit is clean .can see light thru pilot jet. Blow all passages out.
If left sitting that usually get pluged up

It is the 32.5, stock, and I did clean the carb when I checked to see if the jetting was stock. Not sure on numbers on needle but I believe it is the stock one as well, but I will check that to make sure. Needle isn’t bent and I have checked to make sure it all slides properly and it all seemed to function right

Reactions: Slydog