bot a blaster, came with fast parts for install.. please help :)

brianblasts

May 6, 2015
Hi guys, i just inherited a 97 (i think) blaster from my brother-n-law that has been sitting in his barn for about 7 years cuz he couldn't get it to run right. turned out they used oil for the filter.... straight oil and it wasn't getting any air lol long story short i got it, took off the filter and runs like a new quad. very little time on it and a riot to ride.

it came with parts in a box. an .080 over jug(ported) and piston, after market exhaust pipe and silencer, jet kit, v-force 3 reed cage and reeds and a 14 tooth front sprocket.

i can build an 800 hp ls motor for my vette but i have never worked on these kind of motor lol is there anything i should know before i tear this apart this weekend? my thinking was just take off and replace with new parts and call it a day. not sure what size jet to use though. please chime in guys, it would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
brian

first thing you gotta do is put another filter on there, the extra air from removing it altered the AFR and is frying your piston with every stroke :(

skip the jet kit, they seldom contain the jets needed and are not genuine mikuni so the orifice quality is not the same. a 290 no name may not be a 290 mikuni, our jetting advice is based on genuine mikuni jets.

use OEM or Cometic gaskets only (base and head)

hi-temp copper or yamabond on both sides of intake gasket.

use the proper torque specs for every nut/bolt
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/bolt-and-torque-specs.46155/

leakdown test before ever starting it....
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/build-and-use-a-leakdown-tester.10663/
or I have them if you need.

3-5 heat cycles to set gaskets then retorque head and base bolts, leakdown test again.

find out what exact pipe and filter and we can suggest a jetting range

There is supposed to be oil on the filter. It should be soaked and wrung out. I think you mean dmc?

You soak your filters in pure oil and run them???? I dunk mine in gass/oil mix and ring them out, years ago when i owned my yz250 everyone i rode with did the same thing. Not debating just inquirering, has something changed since my younger years?

So i went out to the barn this morning before work and snapped a pic of the exhaust,silencer and jets. Advice???

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    886.1 KB · Views: 281
You soak your filters in pure oil and run them???? I dunk mine in gass/oil mix and ring them out, years ago when i owned my yz250 everyone i rode with did the same thing. Not debating just inquirering, has something changed since my younger years?

So i went out to the barn this morning before work and snapped a pic of the exhaust,silencer and jets. Advice???

Thanks

Dyno port is a great pipe! Not very many of those around anymore. I am not a jets expert so I will leave that to the experts!

The needle in that kit is only good enough to bang into a door frame and hang your hat on!

The stock needle with the clip on middle slot works well for most pipes with the exception of a DMC which loves it richer!

The jets are possibly not genuine!

Wash the Filters out and apply filter oil to them, times have changed when you just chuck any oil on them and squeeze them out!

What is the jetting in the carb at the moment? Most Vito's kits have Genuine Mikuni jets but the needle is ? and can be done without.

What is the jetting in the carb at the moment? Most Vito's kits have Genuine Mikuni jets but the needle is ? and can be done without.

It should be stock jets right now. I bought a carb rebuild kit as well as it seems to be having some issues.

You will certainly need to re jet. Maybe some Dynoport guys will chime in on what there jetting is to give you an idea. What other if any mods are done, you said air box lid is still on correct? Any porting done, are you still running oil injection or are you mixing your fuel and oil?

Is the TORS still hooked up do you know ? (the big block thing on top of the carb) and also electronically.

**make sure they are genuine Mikuni jets, they will have a little Mikuni symbol stamped on them along with the number**

You will certainly need to re jet. Maybe some Dynoport guys will chime in on what there jetting is to give you an idea. What other if any mods are done, you said air box lid is still on correct? Any porting done, are you still running oil injection or are you mixing your fuel and oil?

Is the TORS still hooked up do you know ? (the big block thing on top of the carb) and also electronically.

**make sure they are genuine Mikuni jets, they will have a little Mikuni symbol stamped on them along with the number**

Good post, thank you. The box thingy is still on there... Should i take it off? I am mixing my own oil 30:1. It does have some light porting on the reed side of the jug. I was thinking about rehitting that as who ever did it looks to be a novice but then again.... This is just a toy for the occasional ride to throw some mud at my friend who rides his modded yfz450 at my house... Ya its pretty sick lol

Hey dynoport guys.... Please chime in lol mods are listed in the first post... Please help with this jetting size.

Little bit of work wakes these little larry's right the larry up.
Be cautious of raising ex to high or making it to wide. Be sure to give ex port a=ood champhering

^^^ I agree.. These things wake right up with a few little changes. Let these things breath (In and out) and they can surprise you.

You don't have to take off the tors but more importantly you can disconnect it electronically . (they are known to causing severe headaches and chronic baldness/ They malfunction and cause more problems than anything else)...... It is a possibility that it could be done already but incase it isn't this will show you.. >> http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/how-to-remove-your-tors.655/

If you want to go further and completely discard the T.O.R.S unit/BRICK, you can do that also. >>> Banshee but same as a Blaster.. http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=22CFF1DCEBEBFD9817EC22CFF1DCEBEBFD9817EC

Also note if you do this you will need a different throttle cable on top of the idle screw etc.. All in all about $25 plus not much time. It would be good to do if you are pulling the carb anyways and it cleans things up a bit.

Good stuff guys thank you. Anybody wanna take a stab at that jet size yet? Ill be posting pics and a video tomorrow sometime after i get all this stuff swapped out

For most right bend pipes it is usually recommended to start at 330 and plug chop down. I'm not a dynoport guy so I don't know for sure.

Whats "plug chop down"

Thanks
:rolleyes: Kinda confusing the way he wrote it.
You start with your jetting on the known/safe/rich side. You do a plug chop for each jet and work your way down, until the chopped plug tells you that you have the correct jetting.

But, if you do indeed build 800hp vettes, you won't need to "chop" the plug.