Blow up carnage and rebuild

What brand chip? And we've had nothing but problems with almost every newer Dodge we've had. Now we have our Jeep Wrangler... POS! Now lets not get side tracked and derail the thread!

Go get a cylinder properly bored and ported, throw on your hemi head and go have fun with it. Buy a 450 or Shee down the road when you can afford it (the cheapest one on CL isn't the one you want). Definitely don't cheap out and just throw a piston in it. This is what the piston in that CR looks like after 2 dunes trips and half a dozen trail rides, it's going out for nikasil and a new piston tomorrow like it should have 20 hours ago.
f39ird.jpg

The reason he is having a hard time getting up that hill is because it's so technical. It has nothing to do with incline and lack of power.

Yeah that's what I was saying!!

I don't know how u ride.

But I'm pretty sure ur not just gonna hop on a new 450 or 400 and just climb up that hill. That's a fully built banshee and he's not just ripping up that hill like its nothing. He's still struggling.

Dont get this cylinder ported, because if it blows again, thats wasted porting you cant use again...

Yeah don't get a cylinder ported thats on it's last bore.

I mean I guess they could press a sleeve over port work but I'm sure they work have to line all the ports up again and stuff. Cost ya more in the end

Putting a sleeve in a ported motor is the same cost as a stock one but it is quite a bit more than just doing another bore/hone. Didn't you say that $20 Craigslist cylinder was stock bore? If so that is a steal and I'll go pick it up if you don't want it. The last smoked cylinder I bought was $65 and I spent $115 over the cost of a re-bore having the CR500 stud mod and exhaust heli coils put in because it was in rougher shape than I anticipated (eBay).

Yes if you press in a new sleeve chances are it will be misaligned and even if it isn't I will still need to cut the sleeve back to match the port work. But.... If you want to get this thing done, send it out and I will port it and when you get a sleeve pressed in sometime in the future I will cut it free of charge to match. Now here is the issue, you mentioned a ride in 2 weeks? I don't know if that deadline would work at the time because I have 2 team rider engines here now and they take precedence over the other stuff. But it shouldn't be long I suppose. But what I'm saying is don't expect a miracle on turn around time lol.

Putting a sleeve in a ported motor is the same cost as a stock one but it is quite a bit more than just doing another bore/hone. Didn't you say that $20 Craigslist cylinder was stock bore? If so that is a steal and I'll go pick it up if you don't want it. The last smoked cylinder I bought was $65 and I spent $115 over the cost of a re-bore having the CR500 stud mod and exhaust heli coils put in because it was in rougher shape than I anticipated (eBay).

yea i would love to go pick it up but its just a little farther than my dad will let me go, you can have it, im on .70 over now, so i have 2 more bores. im still trying to figure this thing out with this guy in oregon, hes giving me a killer deal

this is my plan, hone the cylinder, its still in spec very much, theres no point to bore if i dont need to, put in the same size piston, put a stock head back on, get the port work from york. im not going to put all the money into this like getting it bored and all that when i dont need to

That sounds like a good plan. I would just recommend having the piston measured by a professional. That cylinder I posted a pic of was in spec according to the owner so he just slapped a new piston in and called it good. He managed to get ~20 hours of riding out of it for $150 (piston and gaskets) and I caught it failing before it had a meltdown. It's hard to say whether it was the minor air leak or his haste to get it running but either way wouldn't be sitting in my garage right now if he would've taken the time to do it right. What made you decide to run the stock head.

That sounds like a good plan. I would just recommend having the piston measured by a professional. That cylinder I posted a pic of was in spec according to the owner so he just slapped a new piston in and called it good. He managed to get ~20 hours of riding out of it for $150 (piston and gaskets) and I caught it failing before it had a meltdown. It's hard to say whether it was the minor air leak or his haste to get it running but either way wouldn't be sitting in my garage right now if he would've taken the time to do it right. What made you decide to run the stock head.

yea i measured it, but i will have it measured by a shop also, and i just want a stock head for the least heat and im not sure that head will match the porting

Ok last post on this thread. The only reason you were having heat issues is because you had an airleak. You don't think there are other ported blasters that ride in the dunes without heat issues.

Ok last post on this thread. The only reason you were having heat issues is because you had an airleak. You don't think there are other ported blasters that ride in the dunes without heat issues.

well i know theres other blasters ported in the dunes but my main reason is i dont think my head will match the york porting..... i know i will NOT be taking the blaster to the dunes again, its not a dunes bike by any means. its aircooled

Aircooled has nothing to do with being able to ride in the dunes what do you think people did before the mid 80's ?

air cooled is not ideal for sand, if you have ever rode sand you would know, it spins and spins without much moving.

I live in michigan we have dunes all over.

I have had my suzuki tm400 at the dunes tons of times and never had an issue.

I think its more of a jetting issue then anything.