blaster pistion freeplay

michael 6608

Oct 7, 2010
i have a 98 blaster that wont run unless u gas it allot and the rpm's are all over the place . i checked the reeds carb and electronics.when i pulled the head off i noticed that the cylender had new crosshaching in it and the piston had some freeplay. the freeplay is about 2mm or so about the size of a machbook or so when i move it side to side is that normal or did someone get it bord and get the rong pistion for it

sounds like the wrong size piston, clearence should be from .001 to .004 max
thats thousandths, way less tha a match pack

what they said and i would think there would be very serius piston slap

thanks guys that was fast i just got this atv tusday for $400.
always liked them never had a blaster befor gunna take the jugg and pistion up to motortriks and get himto get me the right pistion and rings

one last thang i always delet the oil system and premix do aney of u know what ratio to use. i already know i might have to adjust the carb to copinsate for it they told me every one acts difrently with premix and it might need adjusted might not

yes, 32:1 is a safe mix, and the norm around here

i pulled the jugg off and dry fitt the rings the tolerince is good almost no space between and the rings fit in the pistion exact i dont know if some play side to side is normal dozent look like its ben waring wered and thers no groovs. all i know is ive checed the reeds/carb/electric troughtol/electric system and it wont idel and when u give it gas its slugish and then it takrs off like a bat. the only thang i found is that the spark seems to b weak.when i hold it with my hand and ground myself out it dozent lite me up but its a blue spark on the sparkplug

check your grouncs at the coil and regulator under the hood, and all other electrical connections
as for the bog, check the airscrew, should be around 1 1/2 turns out, and needle clip position
any mods to this bike...pipe, filter ect. ?????
and you do know new gaskets are in order now ?? and leak test it before running it again

i personally run 25:1 but thats just because of my riding style

25:! ha ??? and for what ridng style is this used for, cause i've yet to find anyone ride there sh*t harder than me, just ask ken oconnor, hahahahaaa
and did you have to rejet for the lean condition caused by more oil and less fuel ????