Blaster Hydro Rear brakes(not typical Question)

sam0840

Aug 16, 2008
So I've been doing some thinking about the rear brake set up on whether its awks or something else and how it would work on the floating disk vs the stationary disk. do you lose performance if you keep the floating rotor and have a caliper that floats? I know it obviously works ie. awks est up, but mechanically I am just curious.

my gsxr setup is designed for the 88-02 cable brake blasters with the floating disc,
the gsxr caliper is mounted solid, just as it was on the gsxr it came from.

the 03+ hydro brake blasters, have a solid disc and floating caliper.

i don't see both floating as a problem,
but one or the other has to "float" to promote even pad wear.

except........ a dual opposing piston caliper,
like the gsxr's i use.
it can be solid mounted on a solid mounted disc, such as a banshee axle equipped blaster, and still produce even pad wear as each piston pushes it's respective brake pad independently of the other.
even if mounted slightly off center of the disc, it will still push both pads the needed amount to apply the same pressure to the disc = even pad wear.

on another note, i have seen quite a few "floating" calipers freeze up (pin sliding in rubber + dirt/grime = locked up)
but have never seen a floating blaster disc seized to the axle

not sure that answers your questions, but thats what i've experienced in my quest for the best brakes ever put on a blaster :)

thats about what I was looking for! I was just wondering if there was any advantage or disadvantage or if it would produce any vibrations or anything or if it would be a problem if both moved. In my mind it didn't seem like there would be a problem but thought I'd ask someone with real life experience with it! thanks for the answers.

I have ran a floating 03 caliper on a floating 02 style axle since 05 with no problems. I am on my third set of pads. The first 2 sets wore even. I run the lighter 03 disc and smaller lighter 02 style hub.

I'm setting up my blaster with a floating caliper on a floating disk. Another advantage would be upgrading to a solid disk axle like a banshee has in the future. One thing like said above, the floating caliper needs to be serviced occasionally.