blaster guru needed

just_ride_595

May 27, 2009
weymouth, massachusetts
finally started looking over the blaster to get her running again so my gf could learn to ride a little bit more and was greeted with a chunk missing from the left side case about the length of a cigarrete filter and about half that size across. that would be the reason it stopped running last time i had it out in the yard :eek:

i am well aware the crank is junk, this motor sat full of water for about half a decade before it came into my possesion in january. i was hired to make it run, which i did, but due to money problems on the other end of the deal, we decided i could keep it. anyways,

the left case is bad, the crank is damaged due to the water, and i assume the transmission isnt healthy either. the clutch no longer works, but after poking around and lurking on some threads here, im pretty sure its the bolts on the clutch which came loose to cause this.

on to the questions, could i weld this chunk back in?, the broken area stops where the two case halves abutt one another, im decent with a welder but i have friends who are professionals. or am i better off biting the bullet and buying a new half.?
obviously, i'll split the cases, so the crank will be replaced. im going to hone the cylinder and replace piston and rings etc.
i dont plan on using the oil injection system any longer, and the only wiring i want on the bike is for the headlight, factory killswitch and the ignition. any pics of what a wiring harness should look like to do so would be great. thanks.

dam thats bad...but i think you could weld it in...idk...but i figure ill answer it first so then it gets ent ta the top were someone who knows about this can help...

i'd liek to see a pic of the chunk thats missing. why do you assume the trans is junk? was there water actually inside the engine? i assuem so since you said the crank is shot due to water damage.. the reason i ask about the trans being junk is that the engine and transmission are sealed form one another.. the crankcase fo a 2 stroke is dry.. and the transmission side of teh case holds oil... your best bet is to drain the oil from the trans.. if water doesn't come out.. or if the oil doesn't look like a milkshake.. your trans is probably ok.. but since your splitting teh cases anyway it's a good idea to give it all a good look while it's out

weld it or buy new cases, not 1 case, they machine those as a pair and yes you are gonna have people say I've done it but don't that is not the proper thing to do.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I say the tranny is probably damaged because of the oil that i drained from the bottom when i first got the thing in my garage. it didnt look like oil at all, it had a very light color to it. last night we pulled the whole quad apart, and took the engine out of the frame, after really thinking about this with reliability in mind, ive ended up on ebay searching for complete engines and found one with the oil block off kit and an aftermarket carb with no tors or oil injection. hopefully ill be able to be the high bidder on it.

anyone interested in watching the budget rebuild if i made a new thread in the projects section? i've decided to do some frame painting, bearings, wheels etc. just make something cool for my gf to ride.

and to bansheeboy, that shee is sick bro! i had one of my own.

like i said before though guys, i dont plan on using the oil injection system any longer, and the only wiring i want on the bike is for the headlight, factory killswitch and the ignition. any pics of what a wiring harness should look like to do so would be great.