blaster go BANG!!!!!!!!

Aug 4, 2011
Elkhart,IN
well went to try the third attempt at starting my blaster for the first time ever and i was kicking it and it made the loudest backfire i have ever heard and shot a flame rocket a good 3 feet out of the exhaust?:eek: i know its not suppose to do that lol well my question is timing does a 2 stroke have timing and if so how do you adjust it i know most back fires are caused by timing any help is greatly appreciated and o if anyone has a spare kickstart bolt laying around pm me and i will buy it off you

It may not be the timing . You just may have flooded the motor. The timing was not made to be adjusted . If it is out of time, it's do to a bad flywheel key. I would shut the gas off at the tank and kick the hell out of it with no throttle or choke. Also install a new plug to be on the safe side.

Sounds like It sheared the flywheel key.

You'll need a flywheel puller to remove the flywheel, then see if the key has been sheared off. If it has, get a new one, and pick IP some valve lapping compound. You put a little bit of the compound on the flywheel, and then spin it on the crank. This way you restore the mating surfaces. Be sure to remove all of the grit off of both parts before reassembling

thanks for the fast replies is there anyway to remove to flywheel without the puller or a way to make one? when i disassebled the motor the first time it was locked up so i didnt need the puller becasue it didnt turn. and blaster demon i wasnt using the throttle at all when it did it could the carb flood itself even without using the throttle?

Does gas come out of the overflow When you turn the petcock on?

You need the flywheel puller to remove the flywheel. They're only 12-15 bucks. There's a DIY on how to build a flywheel holder on the site

love having neighbors:) went and borrowed holder and puller and just pulled off flywheel it. this is where is gets weird cant find flywheel key?! its not on flywheel or on arm of crank? im sure i put it on when i reassembled it. is there anyway it could slip into the cases?

love having neighbors:) went and borrowed holder and puller and just pulled off flywheel it. this is where is gets weird cant find flywheel key?! its not on flywheel or on arm of crank? im sure i put it on when i reassembled it. is there anyway it could slip into the cases?

It's probably stuck on one of the magnets or between them- on the flywheel, or fell out as you were taking the flywheel off.

well i feel stupid lol looked around and figured out no way for it to get into cases. looked at magnets and on ground its not there soooooooooo thinking i got to rushed and didnt put it on. if i didnt and attempted to start it would it mess up any of the internals i know on 4 stroke u have timing off and ur sending a valve through a piston but dont know on 2 stroke. also got case oil coming from behind stator. blown seal? and if so do i have to split cases again to install new seal? thanks and o one more thing where can i get new key?

well i feel stupid lol looked around and figured out no way for it to get into cases. looked at magnets and on ground its not there soooooooooo thinking i got to rushed and didnt put it on. if i didnt and attempted to start it would it mess up any of the internals i know on 4 stroke u have timing off and ur sending a valve through a piston but dont know on 2 stroke. also got case oil coming from behind stator. blown seal? and if so do i have to split cases again to install new seal? thanks and o one more thing where can i get new key?

Ya could blow a gasket/seal if too much pressure builds up in the crankcase. Replace that crank seal on the stator side and ya should do the clutch side to. Nope you don't have to split the cases to replace those seals! Yamaha shops have new keys!

After you replace the seals, I'd do a leakdown test before you fire it up! Or it may go bang and take the piston with it! You can make one or buy/rent one from me. If you do have a leak you will never get it jetted properly!

14mqc1y.jpg

ok i know there is probly a thread on this already but i cant figure out how to search the forums so how do i remove the old seals without spliting cases and thanks so much slick for the reply you are always helpfull. also what are your prices for your testers?

just wanted to let you guys know got to go run errands but will check back later tonight thanks so much for you help guys will become paid member tonight!

No problem, testers are $30 shipped to buy and to rent it's just the cost of shipping both ways, which is about 11 dollars!

To replace the seals, stator side, remove the flywheel-duh, stator assembly, What i use is a drywall screw with a piece of tape about 3/16" up from the point so i don't go in to far and mess up the bearing. I use a dental pick (real sharp) tap it with a hammer a few times until it peirces a hole in the seal body, then i screw the drywall screw in up to the tapeuse a pair of channel lock and pull that muther out! wipe out the case where it sat with papertowel, put a little white lithium grease on the inner seal lip(that goes around the crank shaft) and gently tap it in evenly till it's flush with the case i made a seal installer out of a piece of 2x4 drilled a 1.5" hole out of it to fit over the crank shaft and just rotate it 90 degrees after every tap. the clutch side uses the same method of removal and install, but you have to remove the clutch basket and the gear on the crank shaft. there is a pic on here some where i'll see if i can find it!