Blaster bogging out?

notyalc

Jun 15, 2009
I just bought a 1999 blaster. When i took it out for the first time and would try and give it full throttle it would just bog out and stall. I let it warm up and everything and it still did the same thing...i couldnt even get it into second. I changed the oil,checked the spark plug and it still does the same thing. Im not the smartest guy when it comes to these things, so would anyone have any ideas on why its doing this?

ohhh and i also forgot to metion that it will sit there and idle without any problems.

Check your intake side.
Start with the air filter/air
box/lid. Then clean and
check your carb. Check your
floats and your slide and
needle and clean well with
carb cleaner and
compressed air. Id take a
look at your reeds to. After
that look your exhaust and
plug over, hopefully by then
its been an easy fix.

Did the bike run good when you bought it,was it rebuilt. sounds like a carb problem.

ya it idles fine but when you put it in gear and go to take off it starts to bog out and then if you give it too much it will stall. Are there any how to pics on removing and cleaning out the carb? Ive never done it before.

ya it idles fine but when you put it in gear and go to take off it starts to bog out and then if you give it too much it will stall. Are there any how to pics on removing and cleaning out the carb? Ive never done it before.

i think there is a carb 'dys' here but never seen it,because i know how to clean it. you never said if the bike ran good when you bought it or if it was rebuilt or not,only asking because a guy on here bought a blaster an it was doing what you say yours is doing an his piston was the wrong way around.

it's the dam!!!! t.o.r.s. just unhook it at the nose of the bike. i just had the same think happin to me. its the white plug with three wires.

it's the dam!!!! t.o.r.s. just unhook it at the nose of the bike. i just had the same think happen to me. its the white plug with three wires.

O-ya dude forgot to tell you ,you need to jump the wires only saying because that's what read about removing the tors,so that worked good for you then,hope you r haven fun my blaster needs bottom to top i have all the parts.

I can guarantee you that it's your TORS i had the same exact thing happen to me. just remove it and that will fix your problem.

the TORS is the big box lookin thing on the top of your carb. its called the throttle override system. its just incase your carb sticks wide open, there are 2 switches inside and when they sense something wrong they shut down the bike. just remove it. its in the DIY section

I would go with all of the above, especially the carb/TORS suggestions, but if they don't work go to the DIY section of the forum and access the manual to look up electrical testing. There is a very good section that tells you how to test all switches and coils with an Ohm Meter.

I just had the same symptoms and I would have sworn it was a carb problem but instead I found very high resistance on the magneto coil that powers the CDI. The damn thing would idle ok but as soon as I tried to raise the RPMs it bogged. Basically the spark was too weak to fire it at increased RPMs. This was a booger to figure out.

Could be other problems but first I would make sure it's not jetted too rich. If you live in a state that gets cold winters, I would say it's probably jetting. I had my blaster jetted to ride in the winter....and I'd only ride if it was warm out, like in the 20s or so. Early spring I didn't ride it much and then once it started getting into the 50s during the day I busted it out and it was doing what you're saying. Would start and idle fine, but would only run in the low end, couldn't wind it out. I went down two sizes on the main jet and it was back to normal. I made the jet switch as a somewhat educated guess, and checked the plug and it's good. I would suggest going down one size at a time and seeing if things improve. If that doesn't work, try the other suggestions...

check all of the above, one at a time, then test it, (check spark for good blue flame, jetting-plug read, carb cleaned, reeds, tors removal) << prolly in that order, use the search on here, it'll lead ya to most of the how-to's for all these
but i'd also check for a clogged exhaust.....
mouse nest in silencer/head pipe, i right now have some kinda cone peice broke off in my head pipe, and it bogs like hell at certian times - take the pipe off and shake it, you'll hear this thing if its broke <<<< remedy .....new pipe!!

WOW thanks for your post on the head pipe. My 96 blaster was bogging at differant times and I could not get a bead on what the hell was causing it. I had checked the whole thing carb, reeds, sparkplug, wiring. Then I read your post and took the head pipe off and sure enough some thing is lose in there. I:I

So i checked and the "TORS" is already removed. I guess i should just clean the carb and see what happens?