Beware NAPA

goodman24x

May 2, 2010
West Central Florida
Spent all day Saturday rebuilding the race quad. Pulled the carrier out of the Burgard swinger and realized I screwed up and only ordered one set of bearings...its a twin row carrier and this is the first time I ever took one apart.
Well I called my buddy who owns a auto repair shop to see if he could help me. I gave him the number off the race and he called his local napa store and called me back to say they had 2 on hold for me. I called my wife and she went to get them. Well she showed up and gave me the 2 bearings and the receipt $94.96:eek::eek::eek:
I thought WTH and on the receipt it showed regular price was $64 each and my buddies discount was $45 each.
Well I paid about $45 for a set of all balls bearings with the seals!!!!
Now I look up the part# online and see they can be had for as little as $10 each up to $50 for ceramic bearings.
NAPA is freaking crazy, they are just skf sealed bearings. I will be returning them and going to the local bearing warehouse Monday to get both for the cost of one. Just a heads up if soneone is replacing the swinger bearings to call around and use the number on the edge of the bearig housing. You will be surprised to see the markup we are paying to pivot works, all balls and these companies. They are no where near as bad as NAPA though.
And by the way the quad is undergoing a full remodel. ALL gloss black powder coat, frame, arms, swinger, nerfs. New graphics with dark green and black carbon fiber looking tribal and the bumpers front and rear are polished to appear chrome. Will post pics when finished oh yeah and a right side pipe.

yeah I will be returning them tomorrow. Guess I should have asked for the price...
I would have had it completed last night. All I have to do is install the rear carrier, axle, chain and rear wheels. hen set the quad on the ground off the lift and set camber and caster. I had a set of bent pro aluminum nerfs with the heel guards. My buddy at Iron Horse cut the heel guards off and aluminum welded them to the pro aluminum pro peg nerfs we have always had. They look awesome, he did an amazing job and the powder coat is sick. I was gonna go flat black but he paid for the powder and made the call for gloss and I am glad he did. I may be able to get some phone pics of build in progress but will definitely put up some good pics when she comes home. Our first race is this Saturday for 2012 season. I am the worst procrastinator....

I know the feeling man......done the late night thrashing many a time the night before!!!

my dad and i used to run demolition derby cars, the techs wouldn't ever lean on our cars because the paint was usually still wet when we rolled up!

yeah out in glamis i snapped a ball joint on the R and out of all the shops in yuma only napa had a comparable usable part that would fit my lonestars and get me through the weekend... $50 bucks and it wasnt even a sealed joint,,, and the joint direct from the lonestar factory outlet is for $25 and is far higher in quality,just dont get it...

Reactions: Neverripped
Yeah there prices seem higher than most other places. I went to napa to get some rear diff fluid for my car. Napa had coupons for spend $25-50 get $10-20 off, so I looked online and they had some full synthetic for $9.50/ quart. I go to the store to buy it and it is $12.xx/ quart. They wouldn't honor the online price so I went to Oreilly's and got the same stuff cheaper and still got to use the napa coupon. Next time I wont even bother with napa.

Yeah, it seems NAPA has gone crazy in the past few years.
Prices were always was bad up here in Canada, but I often bought items at US NAPA for big savings. Well, now prices are crazy on both sides of the border. Pulley idler for a Taurus $70! I replaced the bearing $4 (not from NAPA).

Local shops still buy from NAPA because they get free delivery (their time is money) and they pass the wholesale price on to the customer and pocket the big discount.